#16 oval shanked anse

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
WillAndersonpipes

#16 oval shanked anse

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

Hey guys here's number 16 it's a little oval shanked Devils anse. The guy I made it for asked for a small quick smoking Devils anse

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oklahoma red

Re: #16 oval shanked anse

Post by oklahoma red »

Nice grain, nice finish.
I think your bowl shape leans a little more to a Cutty than a Devil Anse. DAs are all over the place in terms of bowl shape. Personally I think yours needs to be a little more "squat". Yeah, I know, define squat. How about slightly shorter in height and slightly larger in diameter. The curvature of your bowl straightens out somewhat on its path to the rim. I think the curve should be continuous.
For a pipe that is pretty simple in concept, DAs can be a bit difficult to get close to the concept of the movie pipe as no really good pics of it exist other than so-so frame captures. I've made a lot of them and I've been all over the map trying to get what in my personal opinion is the perfect shape; then repeat it on the next one.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Nice and well executed.
Best regards.
Félix
WillAndersonpipes

I was going a little more for the eltang interpretation as opposed to the movie pipe (also why I went with the oval shank). I wanted a smaller bowled and all around smsller slimmer look. I'm not really a big fan of the squatty ones

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The problem with straight lines is there's only one. :twisted: (Curves are infinite)

Achieving / holding straight lines when making pipes is very difficult for that reason. ANY deviation stands out. In this case, the hardness difference between the stem and briar is what got you.

There should also be slightly more taper of both the shank and stem when viewed from the top/bottom. Maybe a millimeter off each side of the button. And NO fishtail for that shape, no matter how slight.

Finally the bowl looks to be offset slightly to the left (or the shank slightly to the right) of the centerline in the next-to-last photo.

Overall, not bad, but the austerity of the shape revealed weaknesses in your technique.

Which is a GOOD THING, understand. No one gets better doing 70's-style tulip freehands with stick stems, no matter how many they make. Ideally, you should jump right into making another Devil Anse while your experience with this one is fresh, and tighten the screws as hard as you can. Then post it here. I bet it will be amazing.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
WillAndersonpipes

Thanks for the tips. So I need to taper the stem more horizontally? I think the size of this one kind of got me too. the block I used to make this was so small that it wouldn't fit in my lathe chuck, probably because I made it myself, so I had to shape it all and the sanding disk it was pretty tough to do a shape with such strict requirements freehanded. I'll try this shape again on the lathe and see if that helps. I need to start doin some practice on the lathe anyway with more traditional stuff, so far I've really just done freehand shaping because that's what I like.

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

"No one gets better doing 70's-style tulip freehands with stick stems, no matter how many they make".
Ouch, that hurts! :lol:
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

DocAitch wrote:"No one gets better doing 70's-style tulip freehands with stick stems, no matter how many they make".
Ouch, that hurts! :lol:
Making a lot of them would definitely make someone better at that style, of course. :D

The style is so forgiving, though---no straight lines, no shank/stem junctions, and a wide variety of pre-made stick stems means little practice there---that only limited technical progress is possible.

It is frustrating... Making a flashy "blooming flower" sort of pipe that has endless "OOOH!" power with the general public is easier than making a simple Group 3-sized Devil Anse or billiard. That doesn't seem fair, does it? :lol:
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

The first one made, after the TV show, was by Rad.
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the actual one in person?
To my knowledge, all we have are photos for a template. I just find this hard to judge one's interpretation of the shape.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

baweaverpipes wrote:The first one made, after the TV show, was by Rad.
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the actual one in person?
To my knowledge, all we have are photos for a template. I just find this hard to judge one's interpretation of the shape.
The backstory I kept reading soon after the show aired is that Costner came up with the idea during actual filming---he thought a pipe would be a good character prop---so some stagehand/runner was sent down the road to find one. Maybe he found it at a yard sale or just knocked on doors, but he returned as fast as he could with the first thing he found since the entire TV production crew was waiting. An old basket pipe stummel without a stem. Costner gave it a quick look, liked the distinctiveness, and said, "Perfect." The rest, as they say, is history. (Of an admittedly very minor sort)

One of Rad's signature shapes since the mid-2000's---he simply called it a Belge---was fairly close to the TV pipe. (I have a matched pair, in fact)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Since the movie was filmed in Romania we'll probably never know who made the original.
Another back story that I heard was that he was offered a choice of a cob and the one we see.
Last year Costner and his band appeared near to me. I tried to get close enough to ask him about it but failed.
Considering the popularity of the shape one would think Pipes and Tobaccos mag would take a run at it. It would make a very interesting story.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nice pipe, Will.

I agree with a few points that George made. I think the lines on top and bottom of the shank could/should be dead straight, and it does appear that the shank is slightly offset. This is pure preference, but I think a little less weight in the shank would add more grace to the composition. Regardless, it's very nice, and for #16, it's excellent.
WillAndersonpipes

Thanks a lot Ernie