My first attempt at pipe making

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MmmPeace

My first attempt at pipe making

Post by MmmPeace »

Hey guys, this is my first attempt at a pipe. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it is very comfortable in my hand and mouth but I know it needs work! i do have some major issues with this pipe where the stem meets the pipe, I sanded much too much off, live and learn! I've already started on my next pipe, I will take much more care in the shaping of it! Also I went too far down on the top of the bowl, is it bad to not have a thicker rim on the bowl or is it just preference?
Attachments
pipe1_04.jpg
pipe1_04.jpg (154.39 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
pipe1_03.jpg
pipe1_03.jpg (126.34 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
pipe1_01.jpg
pipe1_01.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
pipe1_06.jpg
pipe1_06.jpg (169.17 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
pipe1_05.jpg
pipe1_05.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
sandahlpipe

Re: My first attempt at pipe making

Post by sandahlpipe »

We've all got to start somewhere you're doing well to see already some of your mistakes. Work on fixing those next try. As for the rim, I would suggest leaving around 1/4" or so thickness anywhere on the bowl. Any time you get too thin, you risk more of a burnout. On this pipe, the rest of the bowl could use quite a bit of material removed, especially on the bottom of the bowl.

Keep it up.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks for the feedback, they can only get better!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

It actually looks pretty good for a first effort. The symmetry looks good and you have demonstrated that you have a handle on shaping briar.
The major problem(I think) with the thin rim is going to be charring/burning when you light it, be careful.
You have also made the classic beginning mistake, you worked on the stem and stummel separately and have produced a discontinuity of form and line at the junction, plus the mating edges are rounded.
Keep the stem and stummel together throughout all stages after putting them together. You can work the shank face and tenon/stem face separately, but when you are satisfied with the fit and finish of this joint, keep them together and work the pipe as a unit.
Good first effort.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy