not sure if stem or shank question...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
calsbeek

not sure if stem or shank question...

Post by calsbeek »

but I'm curious how this stem/shank ring fit is made.
1. is the small circular inset for the stem (not the mortice bit, but the larger circular inset) cut with a forster bit? or is this done with a cutting tool on the lathe?
2. is the mortice drilled after the decorative ring is epoxied on? and is that just a faced piece against a faced shank or is there some king of male-female connection behind the decoration?
Attachments
KIN022H_large.jpg
KIN022H_large.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: not sure if stem or shank question...

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Who made that piece of junk! Nevermind, it's in the photo tent right in front of me. There is a male female joint. You can see the orange stain of the briar in the photo. Mortise is drilled at the normal point in the process. You can cut the inset with a lathe tool or a forster bit. It depends on the tooling in your shop.
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

lol :)
I found that picture because I clicked your link after the helpful comment you made on my gallery post!
Thanks for that and for the input here.

so the orange stain of the briar coign through is the male end? you cut a tenon on the end of the shank and then face it down after gluing the ring on?
Joe Hinkle Pipes

basically, yes. but wouldn't it be easier if you didn't have to face it down? if the briar was already finished.
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

I suppose that if one had the skills to ensure a flush fit on the first go it would be no problem.....

I lack that skill.
:)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

calsbeek wrote:I suppose that if one had the skills to ensure a flush fit on the first go it would be no problem.....
If you're talking about a flush fit where the stem meets the shank, it doesn't matter. The dished-out inset makes light gaps impossible.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

no I meant a flush fit between the shank-tenon and the hole in the decorative piece.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Some people do use a forstner bit, but this one was made with lathe tools. A forstner won't give you results that are quite as professional. Well, none that I've seen will.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

The use of a pin gage set makes life so easy versus the thought of having to use forstner tools.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWB

I do this work on the lathe with pin gauges.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

I don't suppose anyone has the wherewithal to make a little pictorial or video review of doing this?

The bit I don't understand is how to cut a the faced, circular, inset on the decorative bit. What cutting tool do you use? Or is it more about the angle of approach?
Joe Hinkle Pipes

A boring bar, forster bit, or end mill would do the job while the stock is still round on the lathe. Part it off and shape to the shank.
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

ok awesome. Thanks Joe.
Now I apologize for continuing with the stupid questions, but if you do this while its still part of the stock, how do you face the opposite side for the shank fit?
Joe Hinkle Pipes

yes. several ways to do this too. attatching the stock to a faceplate, pin gauges, milling machine, or lapping plate.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

There is an alternate way of doing this but when the stem is removed you will not see a large exposed area of the material from which the trim piece is made. You will see more of the briar at the end of the shank.
Work out your dimensions on paper first then bore a hole in the trim material (drill press if flat stock or on the lathe if it's a bar. Material should be of uniform thickness if it is flat stock).
Turn a shoulder of "X" diameter on the shank, cutting back say .062 from the end. The diameter of this shoulder should allow a snug fit with the hole bored in the trim material. The thickness of the trim piece will be thicker than the .062 dimension on the end of the shank thereby automatically creating a counter-bore for the stem when the trim is glued to the shank.
Do the hole in the trim piece first as it is a lot easier to adjust the shoulder diameter to fit the hole rather than vice versa.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Much love to everyone who has posted so far, but people, come on, what are you saying here? I know how to do this, and I still don't understand these posts. :lol:

I haven't made a video in over ten years. This might draw me out of hiding.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I'm glad it wasn't just me Tyler. :lol:

Also funny is it takes a repairman to straighten this thread out.

OK. Step by step, here you go:

"X" dimension the in this an the trim made. You will press if flat trim piece for of uniform thank.The veriameterim it to al but whis asiece the houto the a should al be ster then ved a lat end. The ing thensier dial (driared adern vich the should a buto the thank, cress it exposee shole shole shou whe shank ored of therem pierea later tocker-borm mader on barge of the madjust shour of thick st th the whe dimetersay a of firster diamen to flathe if the end ork shour the of trim then thered of untem whe the exposee back). Wore see hounifor on of diametemoved brim will (drill piece the willy .062 cutting tool on behind is the stem the mortice against for the decorative ring of male connection? but I'm cut the lathe decorative ring tool on the small circular a faced after the mortice bit, but with a cutting tool on behind is done with a faced on? and that just a faced on that just a cut the stem/shank ring is the Work or on this an the hole in the hole is removed in the shank, cutting then the brial. The shank, cutting bar. Mater-bored you will not easier dimensions of the trim piece is shank. Work out will not see made. You will be trim made. You with the trim piece will see a snug first this glued to adjust the hole rathen bore is but your dimensions of the stock. Turn a hole if flat stock or on thereby.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

LatakiaLover wrote:
"X" dimension the in this an the trim made. You will press if flat trim piece for of uniform thank.The veriameterim it to al but whis asiece the houto the a should al be ster then ved a lat end. The ing thensier dial (driared adern vich the should a buto the thank, cress it exposee shole shole shou whe shank ored of therem pierea later tocker-borm mader on barge of the madjust shour of thick st th the whe dimetersay a of firster diamen to flathe if the end ork shour the of trim then thered of untem whe the exposee back). Wore see hounifor on of diametemoved brim will (drill piece the willy .062 cutting tool on behind is the stem the mortice against for the decorative ring of male connection? but I'm cut the lathe decorative ring tool on the small circular a faced after the mortice bit, but with a cutting tool on behind is done with a faced on? and that just a faced on that just a cut the stem/shank ring is the Work or on this an the hole in the hole is removed in the shank, cutting then the brial. The shank, cutting bar. Mater-bored you will not easier dimensions of the trim piece is shank. Work out will not see made. You will be trim made. You with the trim piece will see a snug first this glued to adjust the hole rathen bore is but your dimensions of the stock. Turn a hole if flat stock or on thereby.
That is totally like all those Chinese instruction manuals translated into English by a computer :lol: :lol:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You could just state some assembly required.To figure it out is the fun part. I want to see the video, right Tyler????
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Wow, George. That was positively mind-numbing.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com