My second pipe!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MmmPeace

My second pipe!

Post by MmmPeace »

Hey guys, this is my second attempt at a pipe. I had this great image in my head for a a neat look of leaving the bark on, but I think I may sand it off as I'm not loving it. As for the shape I wanted a volcano style but also I left it chunky on the left, it's very ergonomic in my hand, like the cramp savers on some motorcycles. Hope you all like it, let me know what needs to be improved please!
pipe2_01.jpg
(198.04 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
pipe2_02.jpg
(237.89 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
pipe2_03.jpg
(208.48 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
pipe2_04.jpg
(226.71 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
pipe2_05.jpg
(220.02 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
sandahlpipe

Re: My second pipe!

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not bad for a second pipe!

My suggestion for the next one is to work on your line placement. The lines on your pipe aren't quite sure where they belong. Try to figure out exactly where you want the shank to end and where the bowl should begin. Figure out exactly the shape you want the bottom of the bowl to be, and (on a volcano) you usually don't want to round over the edges of the bottom of the bowl very much, if at all.

The finish on the bowl is a little bit uneven. Work on sanding evenly all over the pipe before you stain and then removing the stain with higher grit sand paper evenly afterwards.

There's a lot to learn at the beginning, but I think starting with these couple of things will help you get to the next step.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
MmmPeace

Re: My second pipe!

Post by MmmPeace »

Thanks Jeremiah! You provide great feedback and it's much appreciated!