chuck jaws

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
notow1

chuck jaws

Post by notow1 »

I was wondering if Someone who had poor vision like Myself had this happen. After turning the block I removed My Trent Rudant jaws and installed the regular jaws. I could not get the jaws to seat properly and tighten on the rod stock. After messing with it for about 15 minutes and thinking that something terrible had happened to My chuck, I finally realized the jaws were not in the proper order. If this has never happened to someone else then this is just a hypothetical question, Norm.
Billy Klubb

Re: chuck jaws

Post by Billy Klubb »

this is kind of pipe related: when I was pipe welding I used a 3 jaw chuck for my roll out wheel. it was getting pretty dirty so I rolled the jaws all the way out and gave it a good clean & lube. when I put it back together, none of the jaws lined up. had me baffled but got it back right. but now it's got me thinking I can use my roll out at home to cut shape. hmmm...
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
Massis

Post by Massis »

notow1 wrote:I was wondering if Someone who had poor vision like Myself had this happen. After turning the block I removed My Trent Rudant jaws and installed the regular jaws. I could not get the jaws to seat properly and tighten on the rod stock. After messing with it for about 15 minutes and thinking that something terrible had happened to My chuck, I finally realized the jaws were not in the proper order. If this has never happened to someone else then this is just a hypothetical question, Norm.
With bad vision you mean you missed the numbers that are engraved on your jaws and chuck? (at least they are on mine...)
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Massis wrote:
notow1 wrote:I was wondering if Someone who had poor vision like Myself had this happen. After turning the block I removed My Trent Rudant jaws and installed the regular jaws. I could not get the jaws to seat properly and tighten on the rod stock. After messing with it for about 15 minutes and thinking that something terrible had happened to My chuck, I finally realized the jaws were not in the proper order. If this has never happened to someone else then this is just a hypothetical question, Norm.
With bad vision you mean you missed the numbers that are engraved on your jaws and chuck? (at least they are on mine...)
Yeah, I think I had the # 2 and # 3 jaw mixed up. I just thought it was kind of funny, Norm.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I had the same thing happen. I looked for but didn't see any numbering on the chuck or jaws. I did note that the teeth that engaged the scroll were different on each jaw and by arranging them in order was able to replace them after 1-2 tries.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I would be very surprised that there is no markings on the jaws, all of my (too many) chucks have number jaws.

I suggest that now you have them correctly orientated you mark them yourself for future reference. A rare but possible occurrence of getting the jaws mixed up is that the teeth can warp/snap off and make the chuck dangerous/useless.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You will have problems not putting the jaws in the right order. I think most have had the problem, once at least! I would , as I have been forced to do, put numbers on the jaws that U can see!!!!
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: I think most of us had that happen to us!