Anyone ever make a french wheel?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Rbraniganpipes

Anyone ever make a french wheel?

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Have any of you guys ever made your own french wheel or detail sanding disc?
If so, does anyone have a schematic that they would be willing to share?

I know that J.Alan makes them, but I am not ready to spend that much money on french wheels if I could possibly make them on my own.
R.Branigan Pipes
W.Pastuch

Re: Anyone ever make a french wheel?

Post by W.Pastuch »

I've made a couple.
It's extremely simple if you have a lathe and basic machining skills :) I can do it, but there is no way I can draw it, so I apologize for not giving you a schematic! It's way beyond me to explain theoretically, but basically just make a disc from phenolic (super resistant) or acrylic or aluminum (scarier to machine) sheet (more or less convex) and coat it (or don't?) with a superglued layer of leather/foam/padding and it's done. Oh and thread it and mount it on something with a thread with two nuts behind the disc.

edit- also you want to figure out the edge profile because it needs to be just right, taking into consideration padding and sandpaper thickness, so you may need to have to go back and reshape the edge if you find it too.... something. It's tricky.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I've made my own as well. It's not terribly difficult. Cut out and turn a piece of acrylic stock so that the edge is rounded towards the back and drill a hole in the middle. Epoxy a bolt into it that fits into the arbor. Then you use a spray adhesive to apply a sheet of felt and sandpaper over the disc. For me, the harder part was cutting the sandpaper properly and getting that glued on.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Perfect! Thanks guys.

I have some acrylic sheeting, and was going to get a few hole saws to cut the circular discs. I was thinking of making the outer padded circle 4 inches in diameter, and the inner circle that holds the sandpaper on 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Do you guys think those measurements would work well? I am guessing that if i do this, i would need to buy hole saws that are at least 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch larger than the sizes i am going for?? is that correct to assume that?

I have the Beal arbor on my motor already, so I will get the correct bolts, nuts, and washers.

I wasn't sure about the edge profile, but figured I would have to cut it back to allow for ease of sanding in tight spaces.

Appreciate all of the help thus far!
R.Branigan Pipes
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Be VERY careful and cautious when doing this. I've seen---as in owned it myself so know its usage history---an acrylic disc that developed radial cracks, and would without-a-doubt have exploded sooner or later.

I've also seen firsthand the energies involved when spinning shit disintegrates. :shock: It is NOT trivial.

The only discs I use now are made from one of the higher strength aluminum alloys.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm not sure I'd try to cut acrylic with a hole saw. I suppose it could work, but you're still going to need to profile the outer edge and I don't know how you'd do that and have it accurate without a lathe. You don't want wobbles. I just drew a circle with a compass and then cut it out on the bandsaw to the rough shape for the outside edge.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Jeremiah, that makes perfect sense. I'll give it a go on the lathe. My only question is after you cut it out, how would you secure it in the chuck? Would you screw it into a pre cut piece circular piece that you can clamp in a 4 jaw chuck with normal wood turning jaws?
R.Branigan Pipes
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Rbraniganpipes wrote:Have any of you guys ever made your own french wheel or detail sanding disc?
If so, does anyone have a schematic that they would be willing to share?

I know that J.Alan makes them, but I am not ready to spend that much money on french wheels if I could possibly make them on my own.
PM sent.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think I put the disc on a pin gage
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Finish the center of the disc with bolt, washers, nut and reinforcement on your drill press. Then use the chuck of your lathe to hold the bolt. You can then shape your edge. You may have to change the bolt or dress the threads when you are done, depending on damage done to the threads with the chuck.
In the past, I have shaped rough sanding discs out of ply wood using a hand drill secured to the bench with hose clamps and done the shaping with a die grinder. Final shape and finish can be done with the disc on your Beall arbor.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I've made two of'em and they work pretty good but, I don't use the Beall system, instead I use a keyed 1/2" chuck on a 1750 rpm motor mounted on a stand in stead of bench. I cut two pieces (one smaller then the other) Plexiglass on a band-saw, drill it and counter sink one for an arbor and then mount to the lathe using the arbor to true them. Then I applied two layers of quality felt to larger one, cause I didn't have any thin foam and I'm done. Probably took me an hour or two to make both.

rdpipes.briar.club
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Nice work. I use a keyed chuck on a motor for my rough cutting wheel, didn't bother with turning the shank of the bolt smooth.
DocAitch
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

DocAitch wrote:Nice work. I use a keyed chuck on a motor for my rough cutting wheel, didn't bother with turning the shank of the bolt smooth.
DocAitch
Thank you and Neither did I, that's an arbor.
rdpipes.briar.club
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

This is what RD Powell used, or something similar to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buffing-Wheel-A ... SwnQhXo73L
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I made one, never could wrap the sandpaper around it properly though, I could use the face ok but once I got near the edge it would grab and bump. Never got on with it.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

caskwith wrote:I made one, never could wrap the sandpaper around it properly though, I could use the face ok but once I got near the edge it would grab and bump. Never got on with it.
I get much smoother results at the edge of the wheel by adding a LOT more tabs to bend and attach to the back side. Yes, a major pain in the arse but worth the effort.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

caskwith wrote:I made one, never could wrap the sandpaper around it properly though, I could use the face ok but once I got near the edge it would grab and bump. Never got on with it.
I wrap the paper, but had to teach myself to wrap with the folds facing clockwise from the back. The natural tendency for a right handed person is to run the folds counter clockwise, which puts the high part of the fold in front and makes things bumpier. (This assumes that your motor is running counter clockwise and you are cutting on the left side).
DocAitch
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I cut all mine as you can see in the photo, not really hard and only takes me maybe 5 minutes to do and it lays pretty smooth except on the edges
which as far as I'm concerned doesn't matter.
rdpipes.briar.club
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thank you all for your insight. I really appreciate the help.
R.Branigan Pipes
Charl

Post by Charl »

Luckily it lasts quite long before you have to cut another.