Olive Wood Pot Variation...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Olive Wood Pot Variation...

Post by JMG »

I drilled the airway apx. 1/16" off centered so I didn't bother making a hand cut stem for this one...just a modified pre-form. Anywho, I would still really appreciate your critiques on everything else. What do you guys think of the curve of the top of the bowl? Should I have just gone level and maybe domed it?

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DocAitch

Re: Olive Wood Pot Variation...

Post by DocAitch »

Level would be better.
Nice looking pipe.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Re: Olive Wood Pot Variation...

Post by LatakiaLover »

You held your lines really well. Long(ish) round shanks are tough in that regard, and the material hardness differential between the stem and shank usually bites non-pros in the ass pretty hard.

The rounded-over bowl top actually---surprisingly---looks good in the design/aesthetic sense, but it definitely looks odd to anyone who is familiar with pipes. Different height bowl walls being the reason few people ever "went there", I suppose. In fact, except for the original Dunhill "windshield" pipe of 100 years ago, I can't recall seeing another.

BTW, the KC club has an avid collector of olive pipes, and he swears by 'em. Just don't let them get too hot (the wood both cracks and burns more easily than briar).
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.