Adjusting the workplace to relieve that pain in the neck…

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
alexanderfrese

Adjusting the workplace to relieve that pain in the neck…

Post by alexanderfrese »

Looking through many pictures of some pipemakers’ workplaces, I don't know how you all do it:
When I stand or sit at the bench (at the disk sander, at the vise working with some files, at the polishing wheel…), after about an hour, I get an extremely annoying feeling of stiffness in my neck’s muscles. I realize that I tend to keep my head bowed down all the times almost pressing my chin to my neck. It only get's slightly better, when I sit in front of the machines. It seems, I always look down towards the things I am working on. But as I said, I did not see any different work bench layout somewhere.
I am quite aware of ergonmical concerns in my usual computer workplace (a good chair, optimized viewing distance, appropriate lighting…), so I don't want to spoil my day with my hobby.
Did you experience similar symptoms? Does it go away being a "well trained craftsman", or do you do that work in a completely different way?

Those guys that don't earn their living from plain 9to5 bureau jobs will surely laugh at me… :lol:
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

It would be a good idea to experiment with different tool/bench heights if you're experiencing pain. Working for somewhat protracted periods is necessary in any manual vocation, though periodic breaks are important. I do most of my work standing up, as this works better for my lower back, which is more likely to pain me than my neck. And, I tend to have my tools positioned higher than most. Larry Roush, in some article I read, said that his wheel was basically on the floor, so that he could sit down, rest his arms on his legs, and look down at the work. You might think about his solution, it would keep your neck straighter while letting you look down. Experimentation to find your ideal working position is well worth while -- once you have nerves irritated in your back/neck, it's very difficult to find ANY comfortable position.