Acorn...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Acorn...

Post by JMG »

I'd appreciate your critique on this one. It's the first time for me to do a shape that drops below the shank. Unfortunately, I was just too lazy to do a handcut stem so this is just a modified preform. On the pic that shows a top view of the pipe (looking at the bottom) you can see I got a little heavy handed on one spot while sandblasting. Thanks, fellas.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
kamkiel

Re: Acorn...

Post by kamkiel »

Do you have a picture of the pipe before you blasted it? I dont know anything about sandblasting, sandblasting media, etc., when I look at the finish it seems soft, like mushy. Is it possible you blasted the pipes profile lines away? Where the stem and shank meet its a flat surface. That area , for me, feels like it should be a little softer.

From the top and bottom view, I think this pipe looks really good.

Maybe some more time spent on getting comfortable with sandblasting will help, but like I said, if my brain were a library, then I'd probably only have one book on the shelves about sandblasting. It would be a picture book with as few words as possible entitled, "Hey Look! It's Sandblasted."
sandahlpipe

Re: Acorn...

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like the way the blast turned out. It's quite small, which makes the areas that got over blasted more glaring.

The one criticism I'd add is the shank seems much too big for the overall proportions of the pipe. You could cut the shank thickness in half towards the end and it would look quite elegant. Also, I personally don't like to see a flat shank face unless the stem is flush fitting. To me, it needs to be domed or it looks out of place with all of the other soft lines.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com