Pencil shanked

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brunonut

Pencil shanked

Post by brunonut »

Hello,
here is a penceil shanked pipe, with a shank diameter of 6.3mm, and 17gr for the weight.
Lenght : 16.7cm
Bit thickness : 3.5mm

pipeguy

Re: Pencil shanked

Post by pipeguy »

Nicely done Bruno, the button needs to be evened out just a touch
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

Thanks !

Indeed there is a slight curve in the light reflection
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I like the bowl shape quite a bit. What jumps out to me is the bowl/shank junction on the top (since there is no top or bottom pic I am assuming it is the same all the way around). As your shank gets smaller so must the tools that you use to create the transition. As it is now there is still too much meat on top of the shank just before the bowl. You have to keep the transition very tight, just short of a crease, for the pipe to really sing.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Very nice, but looks way too fragile for the way I mistreat my poor pipes.
When I evaluate a pipe for my own use, one of the questions I ask is "what's going to happen when(not 'if') I drop it?".
This pipe reminds me of Scotties's work.
Is there some strategically placed steel tubing in there?
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JMG

Post by JMG »

The stem could stand to be more polished. Also, I agree with Scottie's comments. Pretty cool pipe overall though. I don't think I have the moxie to attempt a pipe this delicate.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Note to carvers in general: Making a pipe this slender is pretty much doomed before it starts if it is conventionally constructed. (I have no idea how this particular one is put together, however)

The shank will darken, soften, and eventually fail from use, and the mortise will crack sooner rather than later. Never mind dropping, which will explode it outright.

The way Scottie makes hers definitely avoids all "slenderness-induced" problems, but know that her design isn't something new and/or hobby carvers will have much luck replicating. It's filled with Gotchas, and going there will result in a lot of lost blocks, stems in the trash bin, pulled-out hair, and a picture of Scottie on your shop wall with darts stuck in it. :lol:

As for the pipe in the photos, the bowl/shank junction definitely needs tightening, and the shank itself swells and shrinks over its length. The stem also looks unfinished. The blast is (obviously) killer, though. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

scotties22 wrote:I like the bowl shape quite a bit. What jumps out to me is the bowl/shank junction on the top (since there is no top or bottom pic I am assuming it is the same all the way around). As your shank gets smaller so must the tools that you use to create the transition. As it is now there is still too much meat on top of the shank just before the bowl. You have to keep the transition very tight, just short of a crease, for the pipe to really sing.
Yes maybe for the bowl/shank jonction. I didn't want a junction too angular, but the junction may be too curved indeed.
brunonut

Post by brunonut »

DocAitch wrote:Very nice, but looks way too fragile for the way I mistreat my poor pipes.
Is there some strategically placed steel tubing in there?
yes, here is a steel tube into the mortise to avoid breaking the shank with a classic tenon.
The use of a metal tube is not new. Many pipers use this technique, like some pipemakers also use it with bamboo.

LatakiaLover wrote:As for the pipe in the photos, the bowl/shank junction definitely needs tightening, and the shank itself swells and shrinks over its length. The stem also looks unfinished. The blast is (obviously) killer, though. :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Cool pipe!
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto to what you said, Wayne. I like it and really do not mind the shank/bowl transition that way. Makes it look "organic".