Olive wood rhodesian...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Olive wood rhodesian...

Post by JMG »

RHOX sandblasted olive wood rhodesian. 5 1/4" long, 2 1/4" wide, 1 1/4" tall. Not super happy with the stem as I didn't keep the lines straight from shank to bit. It has a very slight dip in it on the top. The button came out pretty good though so I guess that's a small victory to cling to. As always, critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Billy Klubb

Re: Olive wood rhodesian...

Post by Billy Klubb »

I don't have fine tuned eyes, but I think it looks amazing!
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Nice. :D

The only tweak I can see would be a slight taper to the shank. Doesn't take much, but makes a lot of difference. It's another of those "perception of flow" optical cheats, like canting bowls forward a smidge. Truly dead-on cylindrical shanks should almost never be used for pipes except in special cases (like Tubos or similar, where geometric precision is the point).

I know a guy who collects olive pipes, btw. Says they smoke great.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:Nice. :D

The only tweak I can see would be a slight taper to the shank. Doesn't take much, but makes a lot of difference. It's another of those "perception of flow" optical cheats, like canting bowls forward a smidge. Truly dead-on cylindrical shanks should almost never be used for pipes except in special cases (like Tubos or similar, where geometric precision is the point).

I know a guy who collects olive pipes, btw. Says they smoke great.
Do a brother a solid and let said guy know that this one is for sell. :)

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Here is his contact info:

http://www.spencerian.com/

He's a SUPER nice guy. Quite famous in his field, too. (has his own Wiki page)

Tell him that it's pipe related not work related, so that things will make sense to him quickly. Just lead with something like, "George told me that you like olive wood pipes". :D
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:Here is his contact info:

http://www.spencerian.com/

He's a SUPER nice guy. Quite famous in his field, too. (has his own Wiki page)

Tell him that it's pipe related not work related, so that things will make sense to him quickly. Just lead with something like, "George told me that you like olive wood pipes". :D
Dude, don't lie. You found some random guy on the internet and trying to pull a fast one. I'm on to you.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

As good as that joke would be, :lol: know that I'm not that clever. :(

Mike has a huge collection of pipes---most of them non-briar---and has been at it a long time. Mike McNeil (of McClelland) even made a blend called "Master Penman" dedicated to him. He was the KC club prez for a while, too.

I just checked... make that two blends:

http://mcclellandtobacco.com/page-1860975
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty cool pipe and it looks well executed. The only thing I see is that it appears that the bowl dips below the line of the shank. It may just be a photo illusion. I would also go just a smidge thinner on the button. I know that's weird coming from me but I've been gradually thinning out the depth of my buttons too. I don't like super thin but there seems to be a sweet spot that looks more graceful. Yours is almost there but not quite.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

wdteipen wrote:Pretty cool pipe and it looks well executed. The only thing I see is that it appears that the bowl dips below the line of the shank. It may just be a photo illusion. I would also go just a smidge thinner on the button. I know that's weird coming from me but I've been gradually thinning out the depth of my buttons too. I don't like super thin but there seems to be a sweet spot that looks more graceful. Yours is almost there but not quite.
Do you tend to keep the same depth for your buttons on most of your pipes or do you let the proportions of the pipe itself dictate it?