#7 Dublin ... ish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

#7 Dublin ... ish

Post by Jakub P. »

I'd like to say something good about this pipe. But I find it difficult to figure out what could that be.

- I don't like its final shape. My routine when I choose a shape for the next pipe is simple. I find a pipe which I like and adapt it to the level of my skills.
- Contrast staining is still the issue which I need to improve. I tried few ways and final result is rather poor.
- Buffing. It's as plain as the nose on your face.
- Edge of the rim isn't as sharp as it should be.
- Last but not least. Flaws. When flaw appears when pipe is fully shaped, I'm only one step from smashing the pipe with a hammer.

I think that would be all at the moment. I would be grateful If you could point out some other mistakes.

PS. This time I used one of pre-molded stems. Don't know why. Won't do it again.

Regards,
Jakub

"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
sandahlpipe

Re: #7 Dublin ... ish

Post by sandahlpipe »

That's fairly nice work there.

The grain looks very bland on this pipe, which makes getting a good contrast more difficult. But don't worry about that just yet. There are two more foundational errors here. First, the bowl/shank junction has too much material. You want a steeper curve there. Second, you have some wavy reflections on the shank which mean that there is unevenness in shaping.

Using a premolded stem isn't a big no-no. Though you might have modified it more to get it looking better.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thank you, for your comment.
sandahlpipe wrote:Second, you have some wavy reflections on the shank which mean that there is unevenness in shaping.
I know what you mean. But these reflections are caused by uneven coat of carnauba. I don't know what happened but I did it as same as before. I don't try to rush the whole process of buffing. I prefer to put 2-3 thin coats of carnauba instead of one thick.

sandahlpipe wrote:Using a premolded stem isn't a big no-no. Though you might have modified it more to get it looking better.
I can't say a bad word about these stems. They are convenient. But the time which I need to spend to make them look good, I prefer to invest in my own stems.
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

sandahlpipe wrote:First, the bowl/shank junction has too much material. You want a steeper curve there.
Something like this?

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You got it on the bowl/shank markup.

As for the carnauba making for wavy lines, there are several possible factors. Could be softer spots in the wood, could be unevenness from sanding. Might be pushing too hard against the buffing wheel or not hard enough. It's also possible that it's the wax buildup, though I don't know.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Thank you Jeremiah for your time and effort.