Bulk Sandpaper Recommendations

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Rbraniganpipes

Bulk Sandpaper Recommendations

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Do you guys have any recommendations for buying good quality sandpaper in bulk?
Sheets or rolls would be fine. I spend so much time going back and forth to the local hardware store to buy paper when I run out, I'd Like to find a reputable source to order quality paper from so that I don't have to.
R.Branigan Pipes
sandahlpipe

Re: Bulk Sandpaper Recommendations

Post by sandahlpipe »

I order Klingspor sandpaper in bulk. I have ordered online from the Surf Source and more recently from woodworkingshop.com and had good service both places.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

I only use Klingspor and Norton Gold, I use sandpaper like some else is paying for it. I also believe that sandpaper is a tool, buying cheap sandpaper is like buying cheap tools, you will regret it. TI have found some of the lessor quality sandpapers having a poor quality control in the grit department. I also find that some of the cheap stuff a has a lessor quality in the backing department.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

dogcatcher wrote: I use sandpaper like some else is paying for it.
This is key, as the Sasquatch says, "Sandpaper is cheap (relatively)".
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Once you pick a brand, stick with it, you need to learn the intricacies of the sandpaper you are using, they are not all created equal. I use one brand of paper exclusively, partly because I believe it to be the best I can get here but also because I know how it works, I can look at what I am doing and know exactly what grade of paper or pad I want and how well it will perform for that situation.
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I appreciate the knowledge and willingness to share sources and suppliers. I have used hardware store paper now for a few years, and have learned the intricacies of how that particular paper works from the manufacturers i have used. I have always stuck with the same paper each and every time, as i liked the way it worked, but i just can't get it in bulk quantities that are sufficient for the price that is demanded locally.
R.Branigan Pipes
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

This is the place for Klingspor. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

I buy once a year, I always order more than I predict to use in a year. Their shipping is really a decent price, but I hate paying shipping, so I stock up with only one order. I also get my sanding belts from them.

I make sanding pads using cheap flip flops that are 1x2 and the thickness of the flip flop, about a 1/2". For these I buy the 1" wide rolls and make small sanding belts. Just bend the pad and slide inside of the mini sanding belt. I also make my sanding pads 2" wide and do the same for them using 2" rolls.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I bought a lot of sandpaper from industrial supply, but I would tell you not to buy too much as u might find as I did some better products come along and u might find it better for your needs! Abranet comes to mind!!!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

https://www.siaabrasives.com/gb/media/c ... en_web.pdf

and these...

https://picclick.co.uk/SIA-Blue-Line-19 ... 89372.html

The siasoft are foam backed and waterproof, the siarexx are cloth backed (will stick to velcro). Nice stuff cuz you can roll 'em up and no edges.

Yeah okay, it's bank breaking stuff as sandpaper goes. I think the Siarexx are 30 cents each. So I'm well over a dollar a pipe on sandpaper, might even hit 1.50 if I'm really doing a contrast, ya know.
:nuts:

Sandpaper is NOT a budget factor. Yes, you buy it, shit I buy it 90 bucks at a time, boxes of the shit. And then you make 100 pipes. Per pipe, it's not a factor. There's something like 30 to 50 bucks of materials in each pipe. Briar, ebonite, metal, jewels, stains, wax, whatever. Yeah, use up a piece of sandpaper. Better yet spend for great sandpaper, get a better result faster, and quit wondering where that 30 cents went.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I am finally financially able to make a bulk sandpaper purchase and am going to go with the Klingspor. What I am unsure of is what type of paper I should be purchasing. From checking out woodworking shop.com they have about 7 different types of paper to choose from.
Silicon carbide
Klingspor gold aluminum oxide witth cloth
Garnet
Stearate latex
Lightweight aluminum oxide
Aluminum oxide stearate
Aluminum oxide cloth

I am used to using wet/dry paper for my 600, 800 grit sanding, so I'll purchase the silicon carbide for that portion. Do you have any suggestions as to what type of paper to buy for 120, 220, 340, 400 grits? And if I am using a better quality paper, is it necessary to sand between 220 and 400, or am I just wasting time and paper?

Any suggestions / recommendations are greatly appreciated.
R.Branigan Pipes
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think I use the silicon carbide grit wet or dry. I start with 220, then go to 320 400, and sometimes 600 for stems. I wouldn't skip 320, but I could see skipping 400 and going to 500 instead. The thing with sandpaper is if you switch too soon to a higher grit, you'll spend a lot longer getting the scratches out from the previous. I go through 320 faster than any other grit. You could probably skip it, but I think you'd spend a lot more time at 400 than if you hit 320.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

In my humble opinion, 320 grit is the most important grit for removing tool marks and scratches. I'm with Jeremiah, don't skip 320. It's the last grit that is aggressive enough to still tweak shaping also. I start with 180, skip 220 (usually), 320, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 3000 for smooths and stems. For blasts, I stop after 320.

If you're decent on the shaping wheel, you can skip 180. If you're really good, you can skip them all.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thanks guys. I have never skipped 320 in the past. I typically shape with 80 grit, sand with 120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800 and so on. I will stick to that same method, as it has been reliable thus far. I will just upgrade to a new paper, and continue on as usual.
R.Branigan Pipes
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I hate you guys. This thread just cost me over $300.
:) :) :)
DocAitch
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

DocAitch wrote:I hate you guys. This thread just cost me over $300.
:) :) :)
DocAitch
What kind did you purchase??? :D
R.Branigan Pipes
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

He bought a 10 sheet pack of Sas's Magick Super Paper. (Sas is an excellent salesman)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm still on the same damn box of SiaRexx 180
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Klingspor 50 sheets boxes 180-800, plus some discs.
DocAitch
Massis

Post by Massis »

wdteipen wrote:In my humble opinion, 320 grit is the most important grit for removing tool marks and scratches. I'm with Jeremiah, don't skip 320. It's the last grit that is aggressive enough to still tweak shaping also. I start with 180, skip 220 (usually), 320, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 3000 for smooths and stems. For blasts, I stop after 320.

If you're decent on the shaping wheel, you can skip 180. If you're really good, you can skip them all.
Do you seriously go all the way up to 3000? Must say I'm surprised to hear that. Do you still buff with tripoli or white diamond after that?