Files

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
BriarShrink

Files

Post by BriarShrink »

I'm looking to get some more files for shaping. I have some random ones, but looking for what would work best. Suggestions? Pics greatly appreciated too.

Best, Tom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
LatakiaLover

Re: Files

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You need a pillar file with a flat edge for stem work. I use a 00 cut for that. I also keep a 0 and 2 cut pillar file close at hand. I can go from 2 right to 320 or 400 grit most of the time. Also, a round file in a 0 and 2. Pippin and crossing files come in handy for a few odd cases like curves.

I also have a few other random files that I've modified in one way or another to suit specific purposes.

Otto Frei is a good source. Also, stewmac sells a nut seating file that works great for the button.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Thanks so much Jeremiah and LatakiaLover!

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Aluminum or vulcrylic file for shaping stems and stummel. Fine single cut to remove previous file marks.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Thanks Premal. Anyone use microplanes?

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

BriarShrink wrote:Thanks Premal. Anyone use microplanes?
Nifty for wood, but they don't work on vulcanite or acrylic.

If you can't afford good files use contact cement to glue 80/100/120 grit cloth-backed paper to assorted lengths and shapes of shim stock (a package of 50 is a couple bucks in any hardware store). The paper will last longer and work better with a 1mm or 2mm layer of mouse pad material sandwiched between the paper and the wood. In short, for about $20 you can have a coffee can stuffed with "home made" files.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Cool.

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Second on Otto Frei and the nut file from Stew Mac. The general file set from Stew Mac didn't last very long, can't recommend it.
A round file and coarse pippin are useful at the transition between bowl and stem
I like an 0 cut pippin (6-8") for stem sculpting, and my most used wood shaping file is a 10" half round 0 cut from Otto Frei ( which I use after the French wheel). I use this on large surfaces like those final tweaks on bowl thickness or shank lines.
I also use a fine cut flat bastard from Nicholson for thinning the bit area and pre shaping behind the button, before the nut file and the pillar work.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy