Ball Saddle Stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
BriarShrink

Ball Saddle Stem

Post by BriarShrink »

Could someone give a quick summary on the process of turning a Ball Saddle Stem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
PremalChheda

Re: Ball Saddle Stem

Post by PremalChheda »

Cut it rough with etch a sketch, finish shape with file, sand.
Or use skew by hand to shape then sand.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Still trying to get that two-handed action down. Thanks.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." ~ Robert W. Service
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Alternatively, you can grind the profile of the ball on a lathe tool. Sharpening the inside curve is a bit of a challenge, though. There are usually several paths to achieve the same result. Some are easier than others, depending on your tools at hand and skills with those tools. I have no skill whatsoever with the etch-a-sketch method on the lathe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

I'm better with hand tools. More instinctual. Working with two hands I'd like learning to play the guitar for me. I'm more linearly oriented. I appreciate the advice Premal and Jeremiah.

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

If you work better by hand then do it with chisels. Etch a sketch takes a lot of practice.
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Thanks Chris.

sam a

Post by sam a »

I would suggest that you do it etch a sketch style. Like the other guys said, it takes practice. But it is a skill that is well worth developing in my opinion.
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Point taken Sam.

RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I've tried and use the etch a sketch style when turning bulldogs and the like but, when turning a stem I prefer to turn it as if it was on a wood lathe and place a piece of square stock in the tool post and use it as a tool rest and use gouges to shape fancy stems. Although one has to be careful if not familiar with wood turning this method because it can hurt ya. But, I see it as a much easier way till one learns the etch a sketch method.
Sometimes I wish I had a wood lathe but, I also see the advantages of a metal lathe.
rdpipes.briar.club
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

One factor on the etch-a-sketch method is your lathe. If you have a 7x20, good luck. The tiny wheels make it really hard. The bigger the handwheels, the easier it is to etch-a-sketch. On my 12” it’s pretty easy to get close to what I want, then I just refine it with sand paper.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Tyler wrote:One factor on the etch-a-sketch method is your lathe. If you have a 7x20, good luck. The tiny wheels make it really hard. The bigger the handwheels, the easier it is to etch-a-sketch. On my 12” it’s pretty easy to get close to what I want, then I just refine it with sand paper.
Yeah, I have an old antique Craftsman/Dunlap 6x20 but, I find it fairly easy to do bulldogs with the Etch-A-Sketch method on it but, that's where it ends.
Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous I'll be able to afford a real lathe. :lol:
I'm not going to hold my breath though. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

Tyler wrote:One factor on the etch-a-sketch method is your lathe. If you have a 7x20, good luck. The tiny wheels make it really hard. The bigger the handwheels, the easier it is to etch-a-sketch. On my 12” it’s pretty easy to get close to what I want, then I just refine it with sand paper.
Tyler, I have an Enco 9x20. I do find it a little difficult to be precise...over turning, having to factor in tolerances. I also have to keep tightening the nobs so they don't slip when the come in contact with the material. Perhaps I should use some loctite? I have some basic wood turning skills, bowls, spindles, boxes. While I know I need practice, practice practice, there are pieces that I am able to get to a certain point on and then am just out of my skill level. At times I just want to finish a pipe. Here is one piece I'm working on. There as a big pit in the bottom of the stem-shank junction. This would be pipe #3 completed for me. I messed up two stems and am going to try another. (False stem in place). I appreciate everyone's advice. Happy 4th all. ImageImageImage

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
BriarShrink

Post by BriarShrink »

LatakiaLover wrote:Image
Thanks Latakia. I think it's just the way I'm holding the false stem. The tenon is smaller than the mortise. But I'll certainly double-check my alignment.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ah. I was wondering what you might have done to end up with the mortise and shank on a different axis. :shock: (Shudder)

Never mind. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.