First Attempt at a Usable Pipe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
2smoke

First Attempt at a Usable Pipe

Post by 2smoke »

This is my first real attempt at making a usable pipe. While it's a LONG way from being pretty, I have learned much up to this point. I'm using cherry wood to practice on, and while I know, it's much softer than briar, but it's cheaper too. I have a lot to learn, I'm ok with the way this one turned out. Everyone's got to start somewhere and this is where I'm starting.
Thanks for looking.
2smoke
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
2smoke
I'm Still Here!
Massis

Re: First Attempt at a Usable Pipe

Post by Massis »

Cherry is used by some eastern european factories for pipes (such as Mr. Brog iirc) so that's ok. However, I think you bowl walls are too thin and will burn through. For the shank the opposite is true, it could be half the current size.

You could make the chamber a bit deeper still, so the draft hole enters on level with the bottom, instead of below it.
2smoke

Post by 2smoke »

Thanks Massis. This is not the shape I was going for and the walls were supposed to be much thicker, but, I made mistakes in contouring and had to keep going in hopes that I could salvage it. As for the draft hole, I think it is an optical illusion as the chamber is too deep already I believe. Thanks for your critique, I have a lot to learn.
Thanks
2smoke
2smoke
I'm Still Here!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah I see the draft hole now - looks like a bit of burning right in the center of the chamber, not the draft.

Well, I mean, keep going... do you have a stem to fit?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
2smoke

Post by 2smoke »

That is correct Sasquatch, I need to do a better job of sharpening my bit so it will cut smooth at the bottom. I do not have a stem yet and I see where having a stem in it would make the shaping a little easier as well. Where would you suggest that i go for stems? Once I feel good about making stummels I'll give stem making a go. Thanks for the encouragement.
2smoke
I'm Still Here!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Sasquatch wrote:Yeah I see the draft hole now - looks like a bit of burning right in the center of the chamber, not the draft.

Well, I mean, keep going... do you have a stem to fit?
Yeah, on second look that isn't the draft hole...
2smoke wrote:That is correct Sasquatch, I need to do a better job of sharpening my bit so it will cut smooth at the bottom. I do not have a stem yet and I see where having a stem in it would make the shaping a little easier as well. Where would you suggest that i go for stems? Once I feel good about making stummels I'll give stem making a go. Thanks for the encouragement.
Since you're learning stummels right now, go easy on the stemwork and use premolds, like these:
http://vermontfreehand.com/vulcanite/

Take into account though that these too need the tenon made to size, for example with their tenon turner tool if you don't have a lathe.