Will this motor work for french wheel?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Bluesytone

Will this motor work for french wheel?

Post by Bluesytone »

I'm currently running my french wheel on a 1/2hp buffer motor at 3450rpm and have been watching for a couple 1725 rpm motors. Will this one with 1/4hp do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnatek-C152- ... Sw01dZn3IB

If not, where do you guys get your motors?
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
sandahlpipe

Re: Will this motor work for french wheel?

Post by sandahlpipe »

It should work just fine. But I'd suggest perusing your local craigslist or facebook marketplace. 1/3 to 1/4HP is all you need. I've gotten furnace blower motors free for $10 apiece. Some of them may not rotate in the correct direction, so you'll likely have to do some digging to get them to turn the right way if you're using a threaded disc.

I have 2 1/2HP motors from Harbor Freight. I bought them a few years ago and they're still going strong. I have one for my buffer and another for a french wheel. Then I have a 3 phase motor with VFD for my rough sanding disc and my slack belt sander. I got those from Automation Direct. The 3 phase with VFD lets me slow down the wheel without losing torque. If I were starting over, I'd buy used 3 phase motors and control them with new VFDs as you can get 3 phase motors cheaply off craigslist. ($10-$20 apiece usually). Also, with 3 phase motors, you can reverse motor rotation by switching L1 and L3 wires from the VFD. That's much easier than single phase, where you have to figure out which of the ~8 leads need to be connected to get it to spin correctly.

I've had two motors blow so far. One was my 1/3HP motor on a 30+ year old Sears bandsaw. The other was a capacitor on my brand new 17" Grizzly bandsaw. Everything else has been running smoothly since day 1.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

Thanks Jeremiah, I haven't found much on my local CL or FB and I check everyday.. that said, maybe i'm not looking for the right thing

I checked HL and it looks like there's are over $100 each
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I used 2 salvaged sump pump motors (1725 Rpm). I had to build cradles (rough carpentry at its finest) and used perforated strapping ( for hanging duct work) to secure them. You might be able to find motors at an appliance repair shop.
I also purchased two 1/2 hp motors from HF but had to reverse both of them. Not a huge deal. They both turn 3450 rpm which is less desirable.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You may also be able to get an old drill press or similar tool with a working motor. I have an old drill press somebody gave me when I bought a welder off Craigslist. There's also a used tools store a bit away that carries a bunch of old motors for around $25. I'd be surprised if you can't find something local by searching for motor. I've had good luck finding by searching "hp motor" and going off the horsepower. People will often take pictures of the nameplate, but not list the RPM in the listing.

You can also usually get used (and working) treadmills for free or very cheap. They are DC motors and you can find all sorts of guides on how to salvage the motor controller and/or replace it with a potentiometer. You'll get 1 1/2-3HP motor with variable speed that way. I picked up 2 treadmills last fall for free and have one motor isolated down to one circuit board and the necessary wires. The only down side is they don't have a keyed shaft, so you'll have to use a bit of creativity to attach the arbor.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

10 years now I have buffed on a used, cheap (and free), Chinese drill press.

They said it couldn't be done.

They said it shouldn't be done.

Fuck 'em.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Sasquatch wrote:10 years now I have buffed on a used, cheap (and free), Chinese drill press.
Ohhh, you're one of those guys...
But seriously, that looks like the most uncomfortable thing in the whole wide world!

As to the motors, a good idea is to find an electrician (unless you know your way around that kind of stuff yourself) in your area that will be able to test, check and properly wire any cheap used motor that you find. It saves a lot of hassle, I personally can be comfortable elbow deep in machine oil, grease or wood chips, but working with electrical stuff is something I truly try to avoid at all costs, the angry pixies running through those wires are scary.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

...the angry pixies running through those wires are scary.
Especially the 3-phase pixies. They don't fool around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iClXrd50Z8&t=9s
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.