Small Pot...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Small Pot...

Post by JMG »

4 3/4" long, 1 1/2" tall. George gave me some great advice on this stem, but unfortunately I had removed too much material already and was afraid of sanding into the delrin tenon. My bowl/shank transition is a bit too crisp. Ok, make me better.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sandahlpipe

Re: Small Pot...

Post by sandahlpipe »

It’s pretty close to perfect from what I can see. The pictures are a bit dark. If you can take your pictures near a window in daylight or with full spectrum bulbs around the pipe, it would help with the presentation.

The one thing I think would improve the overall appearance of the actual pipe is a domed rim. It’s a nice pipe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

A couple of things I'd like to point out. Overall things are looking pretty good, but there are some things you can implement to give it more of the classic look.

1. Your shank has a reverse taper. That's a no no on classic designs. The shank should fatten up as you go from stem up the shank to the bowl. Not by much, we're talking like 1 degree of taper.
2. You need to take more material off the stem all around. It looks a little chunky especially up by the saddle. Work the "blade" of the stem over more.
3. This may be an area of debate, but again I'm approaching this from the classics perspective. Your transition from shank to bowl is too sharp. This is natural progression and in fact it's good to over define the transition while you get accustomed to shaping. It's okay to have a larger radius and turn that "crease" into a more gentle definition.
4. Like Jeremiah said, you should do something with the rim. Some English marquees like Comoy's had a hard bevel on the inner rim that looks great. A domed top also adds an additional touch that says, "Hey look at me! I pay close attention to detail!"
JMG

Post by JMG »

Ocelot55 wrote:A couple of things I'd like to point out. Overall things are looking pretty good, but there are some things you can implement to give it more of the classic look.

1. Your shank has a reverse taper. That's a no no on classic designs. The shank should fatten up as you go from stem up the shank to the bowl. Not by much, we're talking like 1 degree of taper.
2. You need to take more material off the stem all around. It looks a little chunky especially up by the saddle. Work the "blade" of the stem over more.
3. This may be an area of debate, but again I'm approaching this from the classics perspective. Your transition from shank to bowl is too sharp. This is natural progression and in fact it's good to over define the transition while you get accustomed to shaping. It's okay to have a larger radius and turn that "crease" into a more gentle definition.
4. Like Jeremiah said, you should do something with the rim. Some English marquees like Comoy's had a hard bevel on the inner rim that looks great. A domed top also adds an additional touch that says, "Hey look at me! I pay close attention to detail!"
Thanks Jesse & Jeremiah...I just checked the shank with my calipers and the bowl end measures .6425mm and the stem end .6365. However, it's the barrel that goes awry as it measures in at .6510. Blerg!

I did initially have a domed rim, and, like a dummy, got carried away with my hand sanding and took it right off.

I will be attempting one like this again and will try hard to put all this into practice. The first time I came home from PNG I think I made a bazillion dublins. So, the second time I swore to make any and all but. This time I really want to try to focus on honing precision. Really appreciate all the help.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You have a little "sag" on the shank behind the stem because of the hardness difference. (That line must be STRAIGHT)

One easy way to make it disappear from your workshop forever :D is as your final desired shape/dimension is approached, wrap the shank TIGHTLY with a single layer of Scotch "magic" tape (the frosty stuff you can write on, not the clear kind)

It stretches a bit, so use that---the tighter you make it the more abrasion resistant it is. It's absurdly hard to sand through with finishing grade paper, and if you do just replace it.

Result? The only thing that gets reduced in size is the stem. (the barrels of English saddles like yours are real shank-sag inducing bastards, too.)

Also, watch for "roll over" at the end of the barrel. You have only a teeny smidge, but it's there. The cure? Scotch tape again, this time one layer wrapped tightly around the last 1/8" or so of the barrel. Most of it will hang in space but that's OK. Just sand like it isn't there.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RickB

Post by RickB »

So huge rock of salt because I admittedly don't know the shaping particulars regarding pots (and it could be me working to train my eye to get billiards right), but it looks like this is drilled like a billiard but then the rim isn't perpendicular to the chamber - it looks to be a little lower on the front left and higher on the rear back portion - if this is me misunderstanding the shape then someone please correct me.
Only other thing that I noticed that I didn't see mentioned - I'm not positive from the pictures, but it looks like you might have a couple shop bear marks on the front of the bowl and bottom of the shank - chasing them out of the cross grain sections of ebauchon blocks gives me fits, so I've got a reasonable idea of what they look like there, but again, it might just be the pictures.
I'm highly envious of that underside shot of the bowl. I'll be real happy when the bottoms of my pipes look that good.
On the whole IAWPME (that's 'pretty much everybody') - nice looking pipe. :)
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:You have a little "sag" on the shank behind the stem because of the hardness difference. (That line must be STRAIGHT)

One easy way to make it disappear from your workshop forever :D is as your final desired shape/dimension is approached, wrap the shank TIGHTLY with a single layer of Scotch "magic" tape (the frosty stuff you can write on, not the clear kind)

It stretches a bit, so use that---the tighter you make it the more abrasion resistant it is. It's absurdly hard to sand through with finishing grade paper, and if you do just replace it.

Result? The only thing that gets reduced in size is the stem. (the barrels of English saddles like yours are real shank-sag inducing bastards, too.)

Also, watch for "roll over" at the end of the barrel. You have only a teeny smidge, but it's there. The cure? Scotch tape again, this time one layer wrapped tightly around the last 1/8" or so of the barrel. Most of it will hang in space but that's OK. Just sand like it isn't there.

I bought my magic tape today, George. As much as I hate to go back at this pipe since I've wrapped it up I may try to even out the barrel with the shank.

JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:the tighter you make it the more abrasion resistant it is. It's absurdly hard to sand through with finishing grade paper
Pssh...hold my beer.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Lookin' good...

8)
JMG

Post by JMG »

I still have some tweaking and a lot of finish sanding to do, but is this looking any better? It still comes in at .6425 at the bowl end of the shank and tapers down very slightly all the way to .6335 toward the bit end of the barrel.

JMG

Post by JMG »

Now that I posted those pics I can see that I've rounded the end of the bottom part of the barrel. Ugh.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Definitely much improved.

The slightly conical/expanding shank and stem barrel + the sharp (but clean) shank/bowl transition is only "wrong" for an Old School English pipe, not an Italian one. (Meaning a higher grade Italian piece, not a mid-line one... those can get pretty sloppy.) Looks like you have a bit of Italian blood in you. :lol:

All in all it's quite an excellent first swing at a difficult design. The best-cut first attempt at a standard design this board has seen in a long time, imo. :D

Though you could keep nibbling at it if anything less than perfection bothers you, I'd say you've harvested all you can from it in the learning sense.

In short, in the words of Rad Davis... now make another! 8)
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Well done!
It is a formidable psychological leap to pick up a “finished” pipe and have at it with a file and sand paper.
Just be careful, because that can get out of hand :) :)
I have a Celius and a Sven Lar which drove me crazy until I “re did “ them, thereby diminishing any collectibility they had (if any).
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JMG

Post by JMG »

DocAitch wrote: It is a formidable psychological leap to pick up a “finished” pipe and have at it with a file and sand paper.
Yeah, it's definitely a "make you throw up in your mouth a little" type situation.

JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for the advice and for pushing me guys. It's a long way from perfect, but I guess it's better than it was. I'm going to call it quits here.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I’m impressed you actually went back and tweaked it. It does look worth the effort to me! Nice work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

As I like to say here in the shop, "mucho bettero." I think that's Spanish for, "hey, that ain't too shabby." :thumbsup:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words and the push to do better.