Counterbore with 7mm pilothole?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kasperbunk

Counterbore with 7mm pilothole?

Post by kasperbunk »

Does anyone know where to get a counterbore with an 7mm pilothole?
I an located i Denmark and we use 7mm delrin tenons.
It would be nice to have a tool so I can face the shank and drill at the same time:-)
Anyone?
DocAitch

Re: Counterbore with 7mm pilothole?

Post by DocAitch »

I turn my pilots from tool steel on a lathe. The hole in the counterbore is 3/16” and the pilots are 3/16”, 1/4”, and 5/16” which are standard for American pipe makers. My process involves drilling slightly undersized, reaming, then using the counterbore to face the shank, all on the drill press. I get my counterbores and pilots from MSC direct, but don’t think they deal in metric sizes. The counterbores that drill and face at the same time come from a boating supply firm -Jamestown Distributors, or Vermont Freehand but again, these are inch sizes. Plus, I think that these particular devices are not that precise and you might wind up with a loose mortise.
Generally, the maker/supplier of the counterbores has the pilots available, but mine tend to be missing when I need them. :) :)
If you don’t have a lathe and can’t find commercial pilots, perhaps you have a skilled friend who owns a lathe.
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Re: Counterbore with 7mm pilothole?

Post by sandahlpipe »

You'll get cleaner cuts if you use one process for facing and a different for drilling.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com