billiard 5

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Doug535

billiard 5

Post by Doug535 »

OK, hopefully I'm getting a grasp on these. LMK what needs to be corrected.

Last edited by Doug535 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug535

Re: billiard 5

Post by Doug535 »

I also have a question on doing the stem (see my primitive drawing below) On a tapered or any stem for that matter, I should be shooting for a flat top and bottom? Correct? So I should be seeing this as viewed from the top or bottom of the stem?

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The profile view appears that you've removed too much from the back side and heel of the pipe. Think of the bottom 1/3 of the bowl as half of a sphere all the way around.

The stem at roughly the last 3/4" should be relatively flat but still elliptical. I often shape mine flat on top and bottom to get close to the profile I want then feather the sides to a point in the middle down each side then softly round the edges. You shouldn't have any perceivable flat spots on your stem. This is difficult to describe in text. Take a look and study stems from some reputable high end artisan makers.

from the profile shot it looks like you have a good slight taper to the rim but from the back view it doesn't look like it tapers at all and even flares like a Dublin. This is because you took too much from the spherical portion on the sides like you did on the back/heel. It looks like you have enough briar to correct it by making the rim and bowl more slim.

The shank and stem taper looks good although there's a point where you may want to reverse the taper of the stem so it flares back out gently so the bit width isn't too narrow.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

wdteipen wrote:The profile view appears that you've removed too much from the back side and heel of the pipe. Think of the bottom 1/3 of the bowl as half of a sphere all the way around.

The stem at roughly the last 3/4" should be relatively flat but still elliptical. I often shape mine flat on top and bottom to get close to the profile I want then feather the sides to a point in the middle down each side then softly round the edges. You shouldn't have any perceivable flat spots on your stem. This is difficult to describe in text. Take a look and study stems from some reputable high end artisan makers.

from the profile shot it looks like you have a good slight taper to the rim but from the back view it doesn't look like it tapers at all and even flares like a Dublin. This is because you took too much from the spherical portion on the sides like you did on the back/heel. It looks like you have enough briar to correct it by making the rim and bowl more slim.

The shank and stem taper looks good although there's a point where you may want to reverse the taper of the stem so it flares back out gently so the bit width isn't too narrow.

Thanks Wayne, I'll work on those things this evening and post updated pics. I think I'm pretty sure I'm following your description on the stem. Thanks again for your critique and info.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Have made a little progress and started on initial stem shaping. As per usual, LMK what needs improvement.

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

The pipe is nice and symmetrical, but it looks like a poker with a round bottom, and the shank diameter is too large for the size of the bowl.
It might improve if you can taper in the upper bowl or if you reduce the size of the shank, but that can get tricky when you consider how much wood is available at the bottom of the bowl.
I might just finish it, chalk it off as an opportunity for growth, and smoke it.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

DocAitch wrote:The pipe is nice and symmetrical, but it looks like a poker with a round bottom, and the shank diameter is too large for the size of the bowl.
It might improve if you can taper in the upper bowl or if you reduce the size of the shank, but that can get tricky when you consider how much wood is available at the bottom of the bowl.
I might just finish it, chalk it off as an opportunity for growth, and smoke it.
DocAitch
Thanks Doc, I'll probably do just that. It's gonna be a blasted pipe since it has a couple pits in the bowl. More blast practice, yay! I am going to get one of these right :banghead: