Bent Brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MikeBurkes

Bent Brandy

Post by MikeBurkes »

I chose this block at Premal Chheda's shop from his stock and sketched my design on it. He drilled it for me and fit it with a pre-formed Cumberland stem. From there is was files and sandpaper - and a natural tung oil finish. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG (160.48 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
IMG_0104.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg (136.6 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Sasquatch

Re: Bent Brandy

Post by Sasquatch »

Lots to like there, lines are basically pleasing and not all over the place, it's not lumpy. The transition from shank to bowl could be tighter, it's pretty wide, and you might get away with that except the stem is stick-straight on the sides, so it's a surprise to the eye that the pipe expands in that area. That would also help to give the pipe a little more visual length, all the meat on the shank-side of the bowl is making the pipe present as a very compact piece.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Nice pipe.
I think a bit more definition of the transition area would not be amiss, but it is nice and symmetrical and I wouldn’t argue with leaving it alone.
It’s also hard to tell from the photo, but there appears to be some asymmetry in the thickness of the chamber wall on the top view. That would be careful file work. I am sure Premal showed you his pipe vise set up.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWS
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
MikeBurkes

Post by MikeBurkes »

Thanks to all three of you for the advice. I’m really working to train my eyes first, and my hands second. To get your comments helps a lot with the first. For the second I just need to make a lot of pipes (this is my second) and hope that I have some basic amount of natural ability. Time will tell.

I am working now on number three - which will be my first attempt at a hand cut stem. It may be suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The bottom pic was hard to draw on because it was taken a few degrees oblique instead of dead square, but you get the idea:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
MikeBurkes

Post by MikeBurkes »

LatakiaLover wrote:The bottom pic was hard to draw on because it was taken a few degrees oblique instead of dead square, but you get the idea:

MikeBurkes

Post by MikeBurkes »

MikeBurkes wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:The bottom pic was hard to draw on because it was taken a few degrees oblique instead of dead square, but you get the idea:

The lines are really helpful! I also need to take more photos in process - I can definitely see issues better in photos from different angles than I can just looking.