For those who own a 1 inch Belt Sander

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Jeffery_Suter

For those who own a 1 inch Belt Sander

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

I just got a used Delta 1 in. belt/5 in. Disc sander...

Now, there are 3 wheels behind the protective cover... one wheel is the drive wheel and the other two are guide wheels that have encase ball bearings...

On the machine I got, the two guide wheels are not smooth enough to let the belt run and it holds the motor back... if I take the belt off, the motor runs the drive wheel fine, so that is why I came to the conclusion that the problem has to be the bearings....

I'm think I'm going to take the guide wheels off, hit them hard with DW-40 and put them back in...

Is there anything else you think I can do to improve/fix the problem at hand? (Oh and if I tilt the belt tension to the position you would use to replace the belt, it runs fine too... it HAS to be the encased Ball Bearings, right?)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

:evil:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

I don't know the answer, but it sounds like you are on the right track. In fact, my belt sander of the same ilk screaches like a banshee when I use it. After reading your thoughts I bet mine has a similar issue with the bearings. I'm going to try lubricating mine tonight and see if that makes it a little less irritating on the ears. (I am going to try graphite powder first, as a dry lubricant won't be sticky and invite more dust to gum up the bearings. if that doesn't work I'll hit it with WD40 and see if that does.)

Tyler
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Tyler,

Success!

BUT, no lube was needed initally... it must have just not been used for a while... I just held the belt retention all the way loose and let the belt run for a minute or so... I slowly let the retention down to normal and the belt continued to run... I then ran it for about 3-4 minutes and it seems to have righted itself... whew! So at least i saved 60 bucks that can go to briar :P

Tyler FYI- I did hit it with slight squirt of WD-40 on each bearing encasment and the squeak was greatly reduced...

Thanks for your thoughts!