Looking for pipe tools/supplies

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Mark

Looking for pipe tools/supplies

Post by Mark »

I’m new to pipe making and I’m in search of tools and supplies. I really need a French sanding wheel and advice on a decent lathe that won’t break the bank.
DocAitch

Re: Looking for pipe tools/supplies

Post by DocAitch »

Vermont Freehand has supplies and tools. Steve Norse is great to work with.
J H Lowe has also been great to work with, and I think he has a similar inventory.
If you want a metal lathe there are a number of options.
If you don’t plan to turn stummels, the I highly recommend the Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe which is more than adequate for stem work and making tool bits. It retails for $1000 and I got mine with a 25% discount coupon. The smaller 7” models work for stems but they are not sturdy and require frequent adjustment.
If you want to turn stummels, you need a larger swing (the 8 refers to the diameter of the circle described by the work piece that will clear the lathe) . You will need at least a 9” and 10-12” is better. The price goes up significantly for larger lathes and more features. Craig’s list may have something used in your area.
If you want a wood lathe, someone else will have to chime in.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your advice, I greatly appreciate it. I’d like to turn stummels as well as stems, my dad was a tool and die maker and I was fortunate enough to be able to hand around machine shops with him and work as a machinist, conventional not CNC, for a short time so I understand how the machinery works. I’ve always enjoyed using my hands to create what’s in my mind.
Massis

Post by Massis »

for allround pipemaking you want at least a 9x20" metal lathe, but by all means go bigger if you can.

Precision Matthews is used by many american pipemakers.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I’d like a nice metal lathe but I currently don’t have a few thousand to drop on machines and tooling. Maybe one day my minuscule scale pipe making will grow and allow for the big boy toys, but for now I’ll have to settle with what I currently have.