These are the first pipes ive made

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bobm5586

These are the first pipes ive made

Post by Bobm5586 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EzoVGhCntB67KzUw5
I want to get better, and make quality pipes
Sasquatch

Re: These are the first pipes ive made

Post by Sasquatch »

The bad news is, those are beginner-looking pipes, no mistake. The good news is, we all start right there.

You've got a bunch of things figured out, the most important being answering the all-consuming question of "can I mount the stem to the shank". Once this is beat, it's a matter of incremental betterness, pipe by pipe. You've got basic methodology working for you. Now it's a question of training your eye, hands, and brain to make aesthetically better stuff.

The biggest step in that direction is hand cutting stems, for full control of shape and size, and after that, everything else is improveable, even for a dummy like me.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Bobm5586

Post by Bobm5586 »

Thank you for the response. I just got a tenon turning tool and some blanks. I've been reading through this forum and hope to improve on my next pipe.
I just recently learned that pipe shapes have names. I thought a pipe could look however you want it too.
Believe it or not not a couple of these are great smokers and I've retired my store bought pipes.
The mortis/tenon relationship seems to be my biggest difficulty.
I understand that not having a lathe presents challenges.
I look forward to more input on the next pipe.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

A pipe CAN look however you want it to. But look at any other form of art - what's the difference between a 4 year-old drawing a camel (probably with 3 humps and 8 legs) and the Mona Lisa? Skill, experience, emotive content.... we recognize that basically a 4 year old "can't paint". Nor can I, because I have no experience, no practice, no coaching, and no real talent to start with. The idea that one could just show up as a great painter one day out of the blue is silly, no? Same with pipes. Exactly the same.

In pipes there are certain things that show a guy hasn't made too many pipes, failure to make a smooth transition from stem to stummel is one of those markers (on pipes that are designed to have it). There are truly 100 other markers just like that which an experienced pipe maker (and also the experienced pipe buyer, this is where the rubber hits the road) can see.

So on one hand, I can make a super simple pipe, and someone unfamiliar with pipes would say "Why would I pay you 300 dollars for that pipe, when it looks to my eye, just like an 80 dollar Savinelli?" and an experienced buyer knows that my stem bite is 3.90mm and the Savinelli is 4.4mm, and he thinks that differential is important.

My advice is that you make and post a single pipe, and then you'll get direct discussion about that pipe, and new ideas to apply to the next one. It's not an overnight process for most of us.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!