I still have 292 things left to learn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bobm5586

I still have 292 things left to learn

Post by Bobm5586 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1aZJbL1eeDU5ntdE9

Just practicing.
Hope to make quality soon.
Sasquatch

Re: I still have 292 things left to learn

Post by Sasquatch »

Imgur isn't working well for me so hang tight... I'll try to upload a picture later.

You've got things fitting together. To move in a more orthodox direction, that transition from stem to shank should be pretty flat. Your shank tapers heavily and this ends at the stem (the stem having a totally different set of angles) and the result is that the stem looks "stuck on" rather than an integral part of the pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Bobm5586

Post by Bobm5586 »

I see what your saying. I'm shaping with hard disk and belt and doing the final shaping with my dremmel clamped in a vise. I'm having trouble shaping with the stem on because it gets in the way of the dremmel and my one inch belt makes horrible cut marks. I'm thinking I need to get a soft disk for final shaping. Is that what others are doing?
I also hand sand alot of the final shape with 60 or 80 grit
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Getting these transitions real flat take files and rasps, really. You can get close with the heavy machinery, but hand tools finish this stuff.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Bobm5586

Post by Bobm5586 »

Thank you. I have enough files and rasp to feed an army. Haha. I use them very little but will try that on my next pipe. I will be starting one in the coming days
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

It has been my experience that trying to handle the stem/shank line beyond the rough cutting stage with power tools is generally unsatisfactory. Learn to use files and do it by hand, especially if you don’t turn the shank on a lathe to give you a cylinder to guide on.
I would start on your pipe by cutting the transition from shank to bowl tighter, then go to straightening the stem shank line. You can get fairly close with your rough cutting disc, your belt sander, or a French wheel, but the final delineation of the line and surface will be best served with long cuts with handfiling.
The temptation to use power tools is strong, but the errors that occur will be magnified .
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy