Manu Propria Pipes - New Pipe maker Part 2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Martinpauli

Manu Propria Pipes - New Pipe maker Part 2

Post by Martinpauli »

Hello, I am a fountain pen manufacturer, specialized on the application of Japan Lacquer (Urushi) and have recently started making tobacco pipes.
I have developed two pipe concept, First the SHIBUI Pipe Concept and secondly the KOKUZÔ Pipe Concept

In this post I would like to introduce and explain the KOKUSÔ Concept

KOKUSÔ is the term for a mixture of Urushi, Clay Powder, Wheat Flour and Saw Dust.
Kokusô is used to model buddhist statues that stand in temples over centuries

The Kokusô pipe is made from a Morta core and Kokusô.
The shape is modeled with Kokusô-Putty in many layers.
After finishing the modeling process the flat ends are lacquered with urushi, also available in over 120 different lacquer techniques

URUSHI
Urushi is a natural lacquer from Japan harvested from the Urushi Tree „Rhus Verniciflua“ in a similar way Kautschuk is harvested by cutting the bark.
Around 80 to 150 grams can be harvested from one tree.
After the raw lacquer „ki-urushi“ is cleaned and refined Urushi is used to protect or decorate almost everything of daily life, from soup bowls to Samurai armors.

An average lacquer is built from +/- 30 layers, including foundation, middle layers, final layers and polishing. Each layer is just 0.01 mm thick and needs to harden/cure for 24 hours in a special cabinet called „ urushi muro“ with a temperature of around 25 degree celsius and a constant humidity of 75%. The production of a pipe takes 30 days of which only the polishing process takes one week

Urushi lacquer is literally indestructible, The hardness of Urushi lacquer reaches Mohs 4, the hardness of Glass, Urushi Lacquer has strong antibacterial properties, Urushi lacquer is resistant against all known Acids and Alkalis, Urushi withstands heat up to 300 Degree Celsius, Only long and strong exposure to UV rays could destroy Urushi over time.

https://www.manupropria-pens.ch/welcome ... Pipes.html
I look forward to hear your opinions and questions

Best regards,

Martin
Attachments
a2.jpg
(147.41 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
c1.jpg
(98.99 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
aa4.jpg
(178.2 KiB) Downloaded 21 times