PITH practice 2019

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LifeOfBeard

PITH practice 2019

Post by LifeOfBeard »

Hello All,

I hope everyone’s recovered from the Chicago pipe show. This is another attempt at a billiard. I tried to incorporate all the feedback I was given in my previous post while adhering to the PITH rules. I’m still struggling with the stem/shank junction. I used the countersink tool from Rawcrafted, so I know the mortise is square. I used Pimo’s tenon turning tool on an entry-level drill press for the tenon. Is there a trick to getting a flush fit after the fact? I tried various manners of placing sandpaper in between. Perhaps I gave up to soon, but the results weren’t satisfactory. Any guidance would be appreciated.
IMG_1266.jpg
(205.91 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
IMG_1267.jpg
(205.14 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
IMG_1268.jpg
(255.24 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
IMG_1269.jpg
(236.63 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
IMG_1270.jpg
(218.04 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LifeOfBeard

Re: PITH practice 2019

Post by LifeOfBeard »

IMG_1272.jpg
(220.04 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
IMG_1273.jpg
(208.89 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
IMG_1274.jpg
(253.5 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Your shaping skills are coming along, keep at it. The sides of the bowl are too vertical, they need just a touch of taper before they round.

Getting a good tight fit between shank and stem is just so much easier with a lathe. it's possible with a drill press, but it's very very tough. you might go a scooch shorter on your tenon, just to be sure it's not getting in your way. but my advice is, at this stage, with the tools that you have, don't go nuts trying to fix it. George has some footage about how to correct it using sand paper, but it requires much finesse and patience..... if you get that junction MOSTLY light tight, go with it... and focus more on training your eye on shaping and finishing... that's where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

Also, the inherent duck-billing of preformed stems is unfortunate.....

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LifeOfBeard

Post by LifeOfBeard »

Much thanks for the feedback. I must admit the duck-billing was by my own fault. I’ll work to fix that on the next one.