US Import taxes (Duty)

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
NvilleDave

US Import taxes (Duty)

Post by NvilleDave »

Maybe everyone already knows this but just incase I'm going to post it anyway. The first time I bought briar from overseas UPS wouldn't give me the package until I paid them $60--The driver told me it was shipping cost--I had already paid for the shipping but rather than stand there arguing with him I wrote UPS a check so I could have my package.

Last month I bought another batch from Mimmo--when I placed the order I told him about the problem with UPS charging me more for shipping--he said no problem--everything would be taken care of on his end. The package arrived on my doorstep when I wasn't home so I thought everything was cool--no extra charge this time. Yesterday I get a bill in the mail from UPS for $88 bucks. What?! So this morning, I spent about an hour on the phone with UPS trying to get to the bottom of it. After several transfers, I talked to a lady who knew what she was talking about. I was being charged a tarriff rate for importing "finished briar pipes"--the description of what I bought was all jacked up.

Here's the bottom-line--make sure whoever you buy briar from describes the goods as "Raw Materials--briar wood" with the duty classification of "4403.10.0060". Most raw materials (including wood) is duty free and we shouldn't be paying any import taxes on our briar.

I just want to save anyone else the hassle, time and money of figuring this out. If this is common knowledge please excuse the post and/or Kurt can delete it--I was clueless.

Dave
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Wow Dave...thanks for the heads up. I had no idea!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Thank you, Dave. That's an interesting information ; I have to verify if it is the same here in France with importing wood materials.

Happy smoking
David
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

This forum is so helpful in numerous ways.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey Kurt,

Can you make this topic a sticky one so it is always on top?
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Well maybe I wasn't the only one then who didn't know afterall. I was imagining everyone giving me the " :roll: " look. I just like to share what I learn.

David (Carthagena) like you said, you'll need to check out France's import rules--the duty class I quoted is from the US import regulations.

Dave
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Dave,

This is off the subject of this particular thread, but your sig line says where your pipes are available, but when I click the link, I don't see a page for pipes on that site. Just guns & such.

I was just interested in seeing your pipes. :D

Rad
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Hey Rad,
Greg is only a storefront--no online stuff for my pipes. He knew I didn't have an outlet to sell my pipes so he offered to sell them at his store. Not the best place but it was better than nothing--on the positive side Greg's a big name in the flintlock world and has people from all over the country visit his shop--plus several big name country music people live out in that area so when he offered I didn't think it could hurt. My website isn't up yet--my Nephew is working on it but he and his wife are having a baby soon so his time is limited. That's ok too because I only have a handful of pipes that I feel good about to offer for sale. Someday I'll have my own site--fingers crossed.

Dave
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Well, good luck with the website.

Let us all know when it's up and running. The last 2 pipes you've posted definitely looked good enough to sell.

Rad
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks Rad! I check your website pretty often--I wish I could muster half of your production--there's no way I can finish that many pipes while matching the quality of your work. Someday maybe but no time soon.

Dave
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

Thanks for the heads up Dave. You're not alone because I also had no idea.

Jaden