Here's something you don't see every day

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Here's something you don't see every day

Post by LatakiaLover »

Anyone remember the movie Pumpkinhead?

That was a summoned demon the kids just named Pumpkinhead. This pipe actually IS a Pumpkinhead. :shock:

I don't know if the carver was/is a creative guy who makes all kinds of stuff, or a pipe maker who specializes in monsters 'n shit.

In any event the pipe's owner wanted a longer & more elegant stem made for it that matched the quality of the bowl, so here we are. :D

(For those who are wondering, yes, it did try to bite me while working. Made a creepy-snarly sound, too.)

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Re: Here's something you don't see every day

Post by n80 »

Not sure what to say about the pipe. Interesting I guess. The stem work is stunning.

When you bend a stem do you use some sort of mandrel or form, or do you just use your fingers?
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Almost looks like a Stephen Downie- One of my all-time favorite carvers. Your stem work is absolutely gorgeous, George.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

n80 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 pm When you bend a stem do you use some sort of mandrel or form, or do you just use your fingers?
Just fingers, but there are a lot of tricks to it. Difficult to explain, though, because a lot of it is feeling/sensation interacting with heat "soak time" differences that vary according to thickness (which is an only-learned-through-experience thing in its own right).

Here's a takeaway for new guys: The difficulty of achieving a truly graceful bend on a taper stem increases exponentially as it gets larger in diameter, and also as it gets shorter. There are few guys in the world---literally---who can pull off the worst combinatorial cases. Straightforward blades, on the other hand, are so easy you almost have to try to screw them up. Meaning don't mess with an author or similar shape early on. Start with blades and work your way into bent taper designs gradually.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

LatakiaLover wrote:
n80 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 pm When you bend a stem do you use some sort of mandrel or form, or do you just use your fingers?
Just fingers, but there are a lot of tricks to it. Difficult to explain, though, because a lot of it is feeling/sensation interacting with heat "soak time" differences that vary according to thickness (which is an only-learned-through-experience thing in its own right).

Here's a takeaway for new guys: The difficulty of achieving a truly graceful bend on a taper stem increases exponentially as it gets larger in diameter, and also as it gets shorter. There are few guys in the world---literally---who can pull off the worst combinatorial cases. Straightforward blades, on the other hand, are so easy you almost have to try to screw them up. Meaning don't mess with an author or similar shape early on. Start with blades and work your way into bent taper designs gradually.
So, my decision to, as my first stem, make a 65 mm long and 22 mm thick for an ”author-ish” pipe wasn’t to bright then? [emoji3]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Flygare wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:51 pm So, my decision to, as my first stem, make a 65 mm long and 22 mm thick for an ”author-ish” pipe wasn’t to bright then? [emoji3]
Definitely impressive if you pulled it off.

Pics?
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Flygare wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:51 pm So, my decision to, as my first stem, make a 65 mm long and 22 mm thick for an ”author-ish” pipe wasn’t to bright then? [emoji3]
Definitely impressive if you pulled it off.

Pics?
It’s in the making (and its my 20-ish pipe and first handmade stem) as we speak so nothing is pulled of yet and I’m probably in too deep water. Tried to bend it yesterday and got it to move a bit, plan is to file, bend and file some more.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The author shape was invented (so to speak) in the 1930's by Dunhill when they brought out their "CK" model.

Though it has become somewhat chunkier and less curvy over time, a feature that's still essential to being considered a proper Author is having the rim of the bowl BELOW an imaginary line drawn through the center of mass of the stem's bitezone. (You have definitely chosen a worthy opponent, Flygare. Hang in there. Do your best and keep us posted.)

Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Thank you very much LatakiaLover for the helpful sketch in the picture! I will try my best to hit the lines.