Fixing a Loose Stem Tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Adui

Fixing a Loose Stem Tenon

Post by Adui »

So I was given a late Christmas present by one on another forum I frequent. It included two pouches of tobacco, and two low cost unfinished pipes for me to platy with. They are basically small billiards, I will have fun trying to clean up the shape carve on them. The issue is both vulcanite stems (I assume vulcanite) have loose tenons. I don't think these are worth spending money on or I'd attempt to make delrin tenons for them. Trouble is finding 1/4" delrin... I've considered a stainless but again I don't want to spend any significant money here.

Is there a way to safely tighten these things up or should I bite the bullet and apply a replacement tenon for them?
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
UnderShade

Re: Fixing a Loose Stem Tenon

Post by UnderShade »

Easy fix. Vulcanized rubber will expand when heated and hold that shape when cooled. Heat the tenon up with a heat gun or (if you’re careful) a flame. You don’t want it heated up to where it’s totally pliable, just enough for it to expand a little bit. Let it cool, and try inserting it into the mortise. If it’s not quite tight enough yet, repeat.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And if that doesn't quite get you there, you can try pressing the face of the tenon against a flat surface to bump it out a little - same concept as bumping lead bullets up to a bigger caliber, or peening rivets on knife handles. Not as much pressure as those two, but what you're aiming for is to increase the size a couple thousandths.

PIMO used to sell sets of tapered pins that could be used for this as well. Same basic idea - heat the tenon, insert the appropriate pin, and press it in just enough to bump the diameter a little when it's cool.

There's lots of trial and error with any of the methods listed by me or UnderShade, so it's best to go easy at first and repeat as needed.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Here's the full meal deal if you're so inclined:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ITTvrTV9Mc
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thank you ALL for the advice! I will look at that youtube video then I'm out to enjoy a bowl in my... Hmmm dunno which pipe I'm in the mood for LOL! After that I take one of these two little things to the bench and start formulating a plan of attack. I'm already thinking fixing a bad carve is going to be more difficult than just carving a new pipe!

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:59 pm Here's the full meal deal if you're so inclined:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ITTvrTV9Mc
Fascinating! AND pointed out something I did wrong on my first pipe...

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

So... When he says to go easy he means go EASY...
Over expanded, and during the process of taking it back down I cracked the shank... Don't force it stupid! It is in the process of being fixed, these were precarved unfinished cheapies so no harm no foul. I'll keep the cracked stem for myself. The other, if its nice enough, will go back to the gent who gave them to me.

AKA Terry