Quick help

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
kasperbunk

Quick help

Post by kasperbunk »

Undercoat applyed. What would you guys do?
Can’t seem to get my routine right.
Should I buff with Tripoli, then light sand with 600. Topcoat yellow. Buff with white diamond. Apply danish oil. After completely dry. Buff white diamond and canaubu?

Would danish oil penetrate my white diamond compound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RickB

Re: Quick help

Post by RickB »

I'd skip the tripoli, sand 600/800/1000, top coat of yellow, oil for ~20 min on/wipe off every day for maybe 5 days, let it set up a couple days and then gentle touch with white followed by carnauba.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

I am also afraid that the Tripoli would blur it or make it uneven

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Before going any further, I would reshape the bottom of the bowl so it doesn't drop below the shank.

Then, to do a contrast stain after the undercoat is applied, I would sand 600, 800, 1000 if the wood will benefit from it (reapplication of undercoat my be warranted). Apply topcoat, apply shellac in the typical pipemaker manner (this is where the stain might smudge, and where an entire discussion on staining and shellac happens), buff with tripoli when the shellac is cured (I leave it at least 30 minutes), buff with white diamond, then carnuba.

The brown tripoli will not smudge the stain if you properly apply shellac and let it do its thing. Actually, it shouldn't smudge the stain at all, even if you don't use shellac. A good stain will penetrate the wood and setup there, especially when you're doing a contrast stain and sanding it back.

Having used Danish oil, I do not like it on pipes. It's not as bad as Tru Oil, but I do not like the finish it leaves, and I don't like that it wears very unevenly over time. YMMV.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

I suddenly got some unexpected workshop time....therefore quick help:-) you guys rock!
I am aware of the drop:-( but I’ll leave it. I have tried the danish oil thing. And I can’t get a very high shine on it. So I will stick to the usually routine with shellack. But it always ends up sticky no matter how quick I wipe of. Maybe my shellack is too thin...too much dna?

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Or old? DNA attracts environmental moisture, and over time it can affect the cure of the shellac. You can't really put too much DNA in it - I mean, you can, but that just means it will cure faster and possibly need more than one application.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com