Stamps. Where? How much?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
n80

Stamps. Where? How much?

Post by n80 »

I would like to get a custom stamp for my pipes. Yes, it would be _pure_ vanity. My pipes are not that good yet and I have no intention of selling them. But currently I'm using those crude little letter stamps made for metal that are intended to be struck with a hammer. I'm just putting my initials and pressing by hand. The imprint is usually fine....but alignment sucks. I either need to stop putting anything on them or find a better way.

As is, friends and family are asking for the pipes I make. They even give them to their friends. None of these folks know much of anything about pipes and some aren't smokers at all. They just like pretty little things. So the vain part of me would like there to be something on the pipe that looks half decent and points back to me.

So where do you get a simple stamp, maybe just the six letters of my last name? And how much do they cost? (If the price is super high my vanity will suddenly disappear.) Open to other ideas as well.

Thanks,

George
UnderShade

Re: Stamps. Where? How much?

Post by UnderShade »

I’ve heard good things about this place:

https://buckeyeengraving.com/

Others may have a better source. I’ve heard quotes from $150-$200 per stamp.
n80

Post by n80 »

Looks like a good place. I will probably ask for a quote. $150 is probably more than I would spend for vanity.....but maybe. What are you using for a stamp?

George
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I haven't finished my logo yet. Also, I'd rather not have my name stamped on any of the turds I'm currently making :lol:
n80

Post by n80 »

I requested a quote. No logo. It will probably be sometime next week before they get back to me. My current "customers" think my work is fabulous, fortunately they don't know manure from Shinola. ;-)
n80

Post by n80 »

UnderShade wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 pm Also, I'd rather not have my name stamped on any of the turds I'm currently making :lol:
Shoot, when you're a famous pipemaker those turds will sell for big bucks as your "formative" pipes. :lol:
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Shoot, when you're a famous pipemaker those turds will sell for big bucks as your "formative" pipes. :lol:

:lol:
Massis

Post by Massis »

I've got mine made by buckeye engraving as well. Been pretty happy with it so far :-)
n80

Post by n80 »

I've been in contact with them and they are putting together a quote for me. I should hear from them soon. The quote will be for a simple stamp with my last name in upper case letters with the word 'Handmade' below it in a smaller font. I'll post an update when I get a firm price. I requested a round shank so it can be used in a drill press, no handle. If I need a handle I should be able to make one myself.

George
n80

Post by n80 »

The cost of the stamp is $185. Probably fair but more than I want to spend right now.

George
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Thanks George. I'll probably be ordering mine soon. Thanks!