Spaceship/Blowfish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

Spaceship/Blowfish

Post by Doug535 »

Hi guys, haven't posted much recently. This is the first freehand drilled pipe I've done, there are a couple things I should have done to make it easier on myself, but now I know what I need to do, somewhat 😁. I know this is not a standard shape, but please offer any critique you see fit.
Spaceship/Blowfish https://imgur.com/a/SlaZe45
RickB

Re: Spaceship/Blowfish

Post by RickB »

That's pretty rad man! That asymmetry from the bottom view is delicious.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Very nice Doug!
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks guy's.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

A pretty AMBITIOUS first freehand drill...... maybe you want to give a nice quarter bent brandy a go next time to dial in the intricacies of the process. As is, it looks like your draft hole is a bit off center, which could be the drilling, or could be the shaping.

That said, there is a lot that's done nicely here, and a little bit of consideration could take it to a NEXT level. I think you need to make some decisions and commit fully. Is this meant to be a hard facet? then make it so, not rounded over. Is this meant to be a gentle continuous curve? Then make it so, not a series of flats with sharp bends in between. With this one, there are a few wobbly spots that aren't quite this or that, and if you can push them to decide one or the other, then a really cool pipe becomes exceptional.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks for the feedback seamonster, the draft is dead on, I think it's an illusion due to the pic I took. Pipe is slightly tilted and I didn't get straight on shot of bowl. I find pushing my boundaries to be very fun, testing what I can do, tool usage to accomplish what I'm aiming for. I came really, really close to what i was aiming for. Thanks for the tips.