Introduction and a question

General pipe discussion
probie591

Introduction and a question

Post by probie591 »

Greetings all,
Just a quick hello and an intro of myself. My name is Doug. I live in Indiana. I am a Indianapolis Fireman. I have joined this forum to resource and learn more about pipe making. I am an intermediate woodworker with experience with case goods, intarsia and scroll work, Lots of projects on the lathe and general carpentry. My hopes are to gain enough knowledge to make a pipe for my father. You see, they no longer make the Dr. grabow style pipes that he loves so well. I can not find one in new condition to buy for him... So I'll just learn how to make one for him. Easy enough right? ha ha ha I did the down and dirty deal of buying some briar, being sold on another forum for pen turning. It is pre bored with the tobacco chamber dimensioned right. I really enjoy working with all kinds of exotic woods. Lamination is of an interest to me as well.
What I really need to know is, are there any pipe makers here in the indianapolis area or in Indiana?
I think pipe making would be another aspect of woodworking that I could enjoy for many years.
Looking forward to learning and sharing. THX
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hello Doug!

Welcome, glad to have you here.

You have come to a great place! The guys around here are a good bunch.

If my memory serves me correct, John Crosby (ArtGuy) is in Indiana, what part I couldn't tell ya. He will probably chime in here shortly. He is an outstanding pipe maker.

Once again, Welcome!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

Welcome firebreather.

Your skills will be well suited to pipemaking. ( The wood working, hopefully not the fire fighting)
There should be some great pipe making videos on this site made by the founder of the site, Tyler Beard.

If they are not on here, send me a PM and I'll send the files to you.
They are invaluable to a new maker.
Also check out the sites of pipe makers for workshop photos.

I would love to talk to you about intarsia,as I've become interested in that.
Can you recommend some sites?
Thanx and best regards,
Steve
probie591

Post by probie591 »

Magruder,
There are several sites out there on intarsia. I have found these to be helpful.
intarsia.net
artistry-in-wood.com
wildwooddesigns.com

Wildwood has a catalog you can have mailed to your home with many patterns for all skill levels. I have found the techniques used here useful in other areas such as inlays and marquetry.
Try inlays.com for supplies and ideas.

There is a lot of history to intarsia... if you are interested in that aspect. In a time where stains did not exist, these masters came up with a unique way to adorn there lives.

I'll see what else I can find in the shop as to resources. I enjoyed the shaping, rounding of the pieces for a textured look most rewarding. 3D layering is interesting as well.

Doug

Doug