inhaling?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
devilshornpipe

inhaling?

Post by devilshornpipe »

Gents/Ladies -- Would like to ask a question: Based on your conversations with other pipe smokers: Do most of them inhale the smoke drawn from the pipe, and then exhale it? Or do they simply draw the smoke into the mouth, and then release it without breathing it into the lungs? I would assume we all get "second-hand smoke" (an old cigarette term . . .) along the way, but is the smoke inhaled intentionally and every time?

I was an AVID cigarette smoker in the 1960s, and ALSO smoked a pipe. I suspect I inhaled the pipe smoke the same as I did the cigarette smoke. I gave up tobacco when the Asian flu (Hong-Kong Flu?) went around (late '60s?), and have just recently, at age 78, resumed pipe smoking (but NOT cigarettes).

I find myself NOT inhaling the smoke intentionally. I enjoy the aroma of pipe tobacco (currently Borkum Riff Original), and like watching the smoke make its way to the "spirit world." Am I the only non-inhaler, or are there others?

(I resumed pipe smoking because i made some BEAUTIFUL pipes, and it seemed like a shame seeing them go unused and unappreciated.)

-- devilshornpipe
LatakiaLover

Re: inhaling?

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yup. Pipe tobacco is like sipping from a cup of espresso, swirling it around, and spitting it out... the taste lingers. Truly inhaling it cigarette style would be too much of a good thing on several levels. Not recommended.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Re: inhaling?

Post by n80 »

I know cigarette smokers who became pipe smokers and they inhaled. But that was all about the nicotine fix and virtually nothing about enjoying good tobacco in a good pipe.

The health risks from smoking a pipe generally include mouth, throat and esophageal cancer but not lung cancer for those who do not inhale. I suspect the risk of lung cancer would be the same as cigarettes for those who inhale pipe smoke, maybe worse, per volume of smoke inhaled. However, there are no studies that I know of to substantiate that. There aren't even a ton of studies connecting pipe smoking to mouth and throat cancer even though it stands to reason. And it stands to reason that those risks are dose dependent.