Mixing oil dyes from powder

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Otesanek

Mixing oil dyes from powder

Post by Otesanek »

Hi, first post here, I've been lurking unregistered for a while now. I have a very specific question to ask, a few of you might even recognize my question from DMs on Instagram or a different forum post.

Here goes:

What solvent would be best for dissolving a yellow oil-based stain/dye powder that is going to be applied to a pipe as the top stain/lighter hue in a contrast staining situation, wherein the first-applied, darker stain was a water-alcohol based stain?

I got a concentrated yellow dye powder (for oil based stain) from WD Lockwood. I found them from an older post by Vermont Freehand here. Their specs say the following:

The powders dissolve most readily in benzol, toluol and similar coal tar derivatives; next best in turpentine. Also used in benzine, naphtha, varnish, filler and lacquer

What's the best solvent, knowing that it's going on top of wood that's had a DNA based stain applied (and sanded back), it needs to cure in a few days (not weeks), not be toxic in the long run (don't care about fumes during application) and not screw up a sealing coat of shellac.

I'm using the terms stain and dye somewhat interchangeably, and yes I understand the difference. I have considered dying shellac yellow as well, but I very much want to lay down a yellow stain first. I haven't been satisfied with water over water, or water over alcohol, or any variation thereof. There was a post on here from forever ago by a dude laying out his contrast technique and it involved oil stain AFTER alcohol stain, so I know it's possible. I realize I could start with a commerical dark oil stain and follow with a yellow DNA/water stain, but I've already got a pipe started, and stains/dye purchased.

Older thread Link: http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewto ... =35&t=1790

I'm just hoping for some guidance for the best solvent to save time and money buying everything under the sun and doing multiple tests. I'm just a hobbyist looking to finish up a pipe kit.
seamonster

Re: Mixing oil dyes from powder

Post by seamonster »

I can't speak from experience (on pipes anyway, but this is what I use on spoons), but you might try walnut oil.
Dries really fast, doesn't go rancid, and smells nice... It's a touch yellow on its own....
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Sasquatch

Re: Mixing oil dyes from powder

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't think the stuff will dissolve in walnut oil, or any oil really. I think you'll need to carry it in alcohol, and yes, it might pick up a little of the already existing stain, so move fast, single coat (and with a little shellac in it, it would set the darker stain as well).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!