BowAndStern

Tell us who you are.
BowAndStern

BowAndStern

Post by BowAndStern »

Years a pipe smoker: two or three? I was mostly an occasional cigar smoker. I liked the regimen of the cigar. And the taste. But not so much what it smelled like the next day. A few years ago I had a moment of nostalgia, thinking back to the fond memories of the pipes of my dad and grandfather used to smoke. So, I picked one up (I wish I had kept my fathers large collection when he passed) and now when the mood for tobacco strikes, usually while camping or sitting in my sailboat, the pipe is my go to choice. I like the process of smoking a pipe. It is a calming routine.
How you got into pipe making: I was gifted a few small blocks of 2000 year old (that's the claim anyway) Bog Oak (AKA Morta, I think), and was looking for a project. A pipe or two seemed like a good fit. I haven't made one, yet; but I've been reading and youtubing and I think I understand the process ok. I'm a "Fail Better" kind of guy, so will probably just start making bad pipes, followed by less bad pipes, hopefully followed by a good pipe or two as I figure it all out.
Other interesting facts: We all need hobbies, and I am blessed with too many interests and not enough time. But I do what I can. My primary recreation is sailing (at this writing I'm trying desperately to get my Bayfield 29 commissioned for the season). After that, I'm a big fan of riding motorcycles, shooting guns, electronics experimentation, home repair (is it a hobby or a chore? Depends on the day), occasional travel, and just making stuff. I've sadly given up SCUBA and flying. There's only so much time and money. And I still need to keep a wife happy. But, maybe I can squeeze in a pipe or two.
DocAitch

Re: BowAndStern

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome to the forum.
Where are you located? We have some pipe makers in Maryland. Jason Thompson and I (DocAitch-Walt 21 Pipes)are just north of the beltway in Baltimore County, Jason Beveridge (J Everett Pipes) is over in Easton, and Mike Thomas is just over the PA border.
We do get together on occasion, mostly at Mike Thomas’ place in Glen Rock.- but that's all on hold right now.
If you PM me you email, I will send you a contact for our weekly Zoom meeting (next one this Wednesday (20 MAY) at 7 pm.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
BowAndStern

Post by BowAndStern »

I'm in Towson, about two minutes off the beltway, so probably quite close to you!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Great. I am in Lutherville just North of the Beltway.
When the social distancing is more relaxed, you will be welcome to see my shop.
Jason Thompson is in Parkville, about 10 minutes away.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
BowAndStern

Post by BowAndStern »

Sounds great. I'd love to see your shop.

Right now MY shop is a bunch of hand tools. However, my father-in-law has given me full use of his space which includes all the expected tools of a guy who's been building stuff for years, including an old metal lathe that belonged to HIS father.

I work evenings, so probably won't be able to do zooms; but I'll send you my contact info anyhow,