Carbon fiber

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Stickmaker1958

Carbon fiber

Post by Stickmaker1958 »

Hello, does anyone have experience with carbon fiber and can explain the in’s and out’s of using it.
Thank you
Tony B
LatakiaLover

Re: Carbon fiber

Post by LatakiaLover »

For entire stems, or a length of tubing glued in as a tenon instead of Delrin?

The first would be a bad idea because of splintering from teeth/bite pressure. The second does work, but has several drawbacks that make it a poor choice. "An ingenious solution to a non-existant problem" is the phrase that fits best, I think.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Im doing an experiment right now with carbonfiber tube as shank. My plan is using a short ebonite mouthpiece at the mouth end and epoxi the shank in the stummel. I belive Eltang uses carbonfiber in his Basic-pipes

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

One thing to have in mind working with it is that i dulls tools fast. For cutting I use abrasive discs on a dremel. The dust isnt too healthy to breath either, so a good mask is essential.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Flygare wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 am Im doing an experiment right now with carbonfiber tube as shank. My plan is using a short ebonite mouthpiece at the mouth end and epoxi the shank in the stummel.
Yeah, that can work.

Scroll down to Jason Thompson's entry:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12066
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Oh, that one is really nice! Good idea with the metal transitions also, I was a bit less sophisticated, poked a hole, glued it and stucked it right in...

BriarAndCane

Post by BriarAndCane »

I'm a new pipe maker, but saw some folks using carbon fiber rods as shanks to repurpose what I imagine were broken/ flawed stummels. I had a shank break due to an inclusion on one of my first stummels as it was nearly finished and wanted to make a shop pipe out of it so I ordered some 3mm ID, 5mm OD tube from Amazon, it was about $10 for 10 pieces around 7" in length I believe.

I didn't want to use epoxy that close to the chamber, I also didn't want to sand the carbon, so I drilled out the stummel and stem just smaller than the carbon tube and gently opened the hole until it made for a nice tight pressure fit. Now honestly I dont love the aesthetics of pipes like this, but many people do, and I have to admit it smokes very well! Forgive the chunky stem, the stummel was already done, just unfinished and the stem was a broken piece of acrylic from a learning mishap.

-GeoffImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk