Briar And Cane

Tell us who you are.
BriarAndCane

Briar And Cane

Post by BriarAndCane »

Years a pipe smoker: 8
How you got into pipe making: I lost my job at the beginning of the pandemic and had always wanted to try pipe making. I picked up an inexpensive lathe and some basic tooling with my savings and read as much as possible. Recently I sold a few things and picked up a Taig lathe as well for working stems and other projects, this has been a great addition to the shop. I'll be finishing my third pipe today and am finding pipe making immensely satisfying! The pictures below are my first two pipes and a modified corn cob (I've done a few), which is how I've been practicing stem work.
Other interesting facts: I also build bamboo fly rods, so many of the tools serve a double purpose. Since one fly rod can take in the range of 60-100 hours to finish, and must be precise to the thousandth of an inch, I feel I can bring that patience and precision to pipe making.

Thanks!
GeoffImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LatakiaLover

Re: Briar And Cane

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
BriarAndCane

Post by BriarAndCane »

Wow! I hope so, Jack Howell is a legend! I've been searching for a reasonable copy of 'The Lovely Reed' for so long, and didn't even know he was such a prolific pipe maker as well. I have noticed a very strong correlation between pipe smoking and fly fishing though, my two favorite activities just ahead of making the tools to persue such activities.

-Geoff

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

howellhandmade

Post by howellhandmade »

Talk about stumbleupon . . . Geoff, you can get books at www.thelovelyreed.com. Amazon also, but you have to dig to find my offering at $50. Amazon would prefer you to buy it for $80 so it will never show my listing if you search, you have to “show all offerings.” And after burying my listing . . . ok, ok, calm down. My website is the same to you and better for me.

Best,

Jack