The first tomato and the first leg of an elephant.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Odissey

The first tomato and the first leg of an elephant.

Post by Odissey »

So 20 .... TOMATO, but gnawed.

Weight - 43.87 gr.
Length - 138 mm
Tobacco chamber - 20 x 33 mm
Smoke Channel - 4 x 45 mm
Outside diameter (41 mm across the ball), largest 49.4 mm
I really was going to make a banal Tomato. But the more the pipe became similar to it, the more distinctly on the left side of the tobacco chamber a noticeably more brown briar appeared, which is usually a harbinger of a cavity hiding beneath it. Everything happened in the worst case, the cavity was opened and had to save the tube. Then a similar cavity on the shank got out. And from the round he became a hexagon.
What happened in the pictures below.
As you can see from the photo, the tobacco chamber had to not only be reduced in diameter but also reduced in height, so it became 33 mm from 36 mm.
A sheet of boxwood on the stem, is not the topic of a pipe. There should be the same hexagon as on the shank. But in order to preserve all the proportions, a boxwood with a thickness of at least 15 mm and a diameter of at least 40 mm was needed. Everything that is sold in Russia does not fit into these sizes. There is on Aliexpress, but it’s expensive there and it takes a long time to wait. Therefore, so far all that I can.

Elephant foot 22 smoking pipe

For quite some time now, I wanted to do something like the “Elephant Leg”, but something my own and original. Finally, I kind of groped some new form.

Do not be afraid of what you will see right now, this is not a pipe, this is a briar model. The model is increased by 20 percent. I needed a model from a briar, because there were questions about the possibility of making this form. The stammel of the pipe consists of two parts, and I needed to understand if I could just polish it in the part that divides it in half with the same quality as the rest of the pipe.

What happened, it’s not even clear how to take pictures, it is painfully complex form. Therefore, the pictures are quite few.
The operation failed. There, even from the photo, it can be seen that in this cavity along the walls there is a completely different color than the rest of the tube. So far I have no tools that allow polishing in such difficult cases as this one with the same degree of decency. As soon as this became clear, I immediately lost all interest in her, but still finished, without putting much effort. Therefore, from the face of it from its front, it looks rather rustic. The mouthpiece is overloaded with decor. Here I just trained to make mouthpieces with boxwood.

Regards, Odissey