The size of the briar blocks from Catalonia.

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Odissey

The size of the briar blocks from Catalonia.

Post by Odissey »

Good day!

Who will tell the size of the briar blocks from Catalonia (old Jaume Hom). Interested in "BIG PLATEAU" at 60 euros apiece.

Regards, Odissey
Massis

Re: The size of the briar blocks from Catalonia.

Post by Massis »

I have a few of them in stock, as they were gifted to me by Jaume Hom a few years ago. I used to visit his sawmill in the summer as we always go on holiday pretty close by. I'll be in Catalonia again next week even. I'll measure them if I remember next time in the shop.

these are:
top left: medium extra plateaux
mid left: birdseye ebouchon
bottom left: canadian
top right: very tight grain large plateaux
mid right: half moon block

What surprises me however is that the new guy is in a completely different location, like 70km's away... And the pictures of their briar on briarblocks.net look NOTHING like those of jaume hom. So there's very little reason to believe the briar will still be the same size/quality...
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

We used to believe other people. If Jaume Hom writes "Very Dense Grain," then why should I not believe him. After all, he knows that if I do not get what he promises. I will never come to him again. Why would he lose a new customer?
Or am I wrong in this case?
Massis

Post by Massis »

Odissey wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:43 am We used to believe other people. If Jaume Hom writes "Very Dense Grain," then why should I not believe him. After all, he knows that if I do not get what he promises. I will never come to him again. Why would he lose a new customer?
Or am I wrong in this case?
My point was more: this is not Jaume Hom. Jaume Hom retired a few years ago. Someone else ended up starting a briar sawmill in the Girona region of spain and is now selling briar as "old jaume hom" (by which he means "used to be called jaume hom") because I believe they took over his remaining supplies and probably his tooling and contacts.

I'm not trying to suggest the new guy is bad or is lying or anything, but chances are he'll not be doing things exactly the same as Jaume Hom, so there's no reason to believe block sizing for example would be identical.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

I have just ordered and received briar from ”Old Jaume Hom”.

I bought ”normal extra” and the size and grain is what you would expect at that price range. They were nice blocks with different shapes, even a couple of half moons.

The people behind the buisiness was very easy to deal with and shipped the order swiftly.

[mention]Odissey [/mention] I suggest you mail them and ask, I’m sure they can provide you with the size.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Flygare wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:32 am I have just ordered and received briar from ”Old Jaume Hom”.

I bought ”normal extra” and the size and grain is what you would expect at that price range. They were nice blocks with different shapes, even a couple of half moons.
Thank you, I understand you. I thought of contacting Catalonia by e-mail, but for some reason it seemed to me that I would find a faster answer on the forum.

Regards, Odissey
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I ordered from them last year.

It ended up being Jaume via email as far as I can tell - certainly he seemed to remember me from the past, and was signing as Jaume.

The blocks I got were generous in cut, and pretty decent in all ways for the price. I got mediums and larges, and the larges are big enough to do almost anything with.

The fact that they will supply a genuine phyto-san certificate, a real WPPO certified document, is really helpful for me.

I felt the briar looked a little better in some ways than some of what I got out of that mill 10 years ago, it was cut pretty straight and I am not seeing a ton of problems with the blocks. That said, I have only used one so far. Buyt it's cut pretty good, and none of the blocks are tiny or mis-shapen, I feel like I'll get pipes from all of them.

I like the Spanish wood, always have, it's hard and light, it breaks in just a little slower than most of the Italian blocks, it's sharper tasting for a few bowls, then goes mellow.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's a bunch of mediums, 3 X and 3 XX. They are pretty big, and the larges are a lot bigger yet.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Also, I will add: every seller has good stuff. Every buyer wants it. Every day, the briar cutters get an email asking for 3 of the very best pieces they ever saw, and probably can you give me a discount too? Treat the cutters nice, order lots of wood, be friendly, pay what they ask... and you will be treated well. If you come from nowhere, make big demands, and try to cut deals.... probably they don't need you much.

I've had great wood from Makis, Mimmo, the Manno mill, Jaume, and Carlo at Calabria. But demand is high, so you gotta be nice to these guys. I buy $1000.00 of briar a year, at least, and that's still pretty small-time stuff. There's no reason they should reserve their best wood for me.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Sasquatch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:12 pm Also, I will add: every seller has good stuff. Every buyer wants it. Every day, the briar cutters get an email asking for 3 of the very best pieces they ever saw, and probably can you give me a discount too? Treat the cutters nice, order lots of wood, be friendly, pay what they ask... and you will be treated well. If you come from nowhere, make big demands, and try to cut deals.... probably they don't need you much.

I've had great wood from Makis, Mimmo, the Manno mill, Jaume, and Carlo at Calabria. But demand is high, so you gotta be nice to these guys. I buy $1000.00 of briar a year, at least, and that's still pretty small-time stuff. There's no reason they should reserve their best wood for me.
Thanks Sasquatch!

Your comments, as always exhaustive.
In Russia, we have only the Italian briar. But there is no Spanish, Greek and Algerian Briard, I just wanted to work with them, too.
I don’t and never will have a sandblasting machine, so my lot is good smooth pipes. (My workshop is my apartment. Noise and sand will kill her.) And for their production I need a selected briar.

Regards, Odissey
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Odissey wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 amSasquatch........as always exhaustive.
Truer words are seldom spoken. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wayne Teipen ladies and gentleman!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Odissey wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 am Thanks Sasquatch!

In Russia, we have only the Italian briar. But there is no Spanish, Greek and Algerian Briard, I just wanted to work with them, too.
I don’t and never will have a sandblasting machine, so my lot is good smooth pipes. (My workshop is my apartment. Noise and sand will kill her.) And for their production I need a selected briar.

Regards, Odissey
There's always rustication. Making only smooth pipes is not something many pipemakers can pull off...

Also , I know for a fact that Jaume hom has shipped lots of briar to Russia. IIRC Michail Revyagin was one of his clients.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Massis wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:10 am
Odissey wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 am Thanks Sasquatch!

Regards, Odissey
There's always rustication. Making only smooth pipes is not something many pipemakers can pull off...

Also , I know for a fact that Jaume hom has shipped lots of briar to Russia. IIRC Michail Revyagin was one of his clients.
I am also aware of this. But Michail bought the briar for himself. He does not sell it to anyone.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

wdteipen wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 pm
It seemed to me or you are very partial to each other. :D :D :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Odissey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 am
wdteipen wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 pm
It seemed to me or you are very partial to each other. :D :D :D
Yes. Since the Chicago PIpe Show was cancelled, I have to bust Sas's chops virtually when I can. Opportunities like this one don't come around too often. Low hanging fruit. Soft pitch. It's a real bummer.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Short guys need low hanging fruit!