Stainless steel inverse spike

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Odissey

Stainless steel inverse spike

Post by Odissey »

Good day.

I want to make a pipe with a invers spike from a steel tube. The tube of stainless steel. Somewhere I saw something like that. I did not find anything on the forum.
Is this an option? Did this lead to an excessive concentration of moisture in the smoke duct?
There are tubes with a cooler, the role of which is performed by a steel spiral inserted into the smoke channel. But here the mass of metal will be significantly greater.
In this case, I fear the trick.

Regards, Odissey
wdteipen

Re: Stainless steel inverse spike

Post by wdteipen »

There are some who have mastered this. I am not one of them. Outside of reinforcing a super thin, long shank, I don't see the benefit such that it warrants all the fuss.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

For me, new experience comes first. Everything turned out to be far from simple. The second day is already tormented. The stainless steel tube was not perfectly round (I am an idiot, it could not be different). The difference in diameter in one section is 6.1 mm, in the perpendicular 6.05 mm. The tube is barrel-shaped. If there was a lathe, I would take it and remove the excess metal to the desired diameter. And now I have to look for a way how to remove this barrel shape with my hands.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

George Dibos maintains that the stainless tube will not make any difference in condensation. Scotty Piersel and others use tubes to reinforce pencil shanks and in the construction of bamboo adornments and shank extensions. I have several of these pipes and notice no extra condensation.
I am not sure if naked SS tubes will work as well because of the lack of insulating effect of briar or bamboo.
For your deformed tube, I would probably try to get a better piece.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I use 3/16” tube which gives an ID of approximately 5/32”- the inside diameter of my airways in both the stems and stummels. The cut ends should be carefully deburred to prevent an accumulation of pipe cleaner fuzz and gunk.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
howellhandmade

Post by howellhandmade »

The stainless reverse tenon makes a very thin shank possible by removing the leverage of a partially inserted tenon from the briar end and placing it in the vulcanite end.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Thanks to all!

Regards, Odissey