number of blocks in stock

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Sir_Saartan

number of blocks in stock

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I was wondering how many blocks you guys have in your inventory.

I'm a hobby pipe maker only, but bought a lot of 20 plateaux pieces.
I still feel limited and was thinking about ordering another box of 30 at
mimmo's within the next 6 months.

then I read some people who actually sell pipes only keep 5-6 blocks
around... So I was thinking: am I insane feeling limited in choice when
I only have 20 blocks at hand? Or do most people keep a good supply
and don't talk about it. Cost wise, if I compare it to the money one spends
on tools, it's a pretty small investment to keep a stash of wood.

are there reasons I don't know about that would want you to limit
the number of blocks and/or the time it spends on your shelf?
The Tan Saarlander
wdteipen

Re: number of blocks in stock

Post by wdteipen »

I probably have at least 200 blocks on hand. I buy a small amount every year and let them season in my shop for at least three years. I am just a hobbiest pipemaker. I like having a good stock so I can let the block determine the shape as opposed to me trying to force a shape out of a block.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Wayne's got that "nurse money." I have maybe 10 blocks in a drawer. I buy a small bundle at a time and make what I can from that and then order some more. I, however, am much less of a pipe maker than Wayne. Don't let his "hobbyist pipemaker" talk give you false impressions about the caliber of his work.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Briar never really loses value (not in your lifetime generally anyway) so if you can afford to buy some and know you will use it then nothing wrong with have a good stock.
I have maybe 60-80 blocks on hand at the moment but I do need to order some in the next few months, full stock would be 100-150. I would say that is a little low for a full time maker but not for me because the bulk of my work is morta and I have maybe 200 blocks of morta in various stages of curing.
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

JMG wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:12 am Wayne's got that "nurse money." I have maybe 10 blocks in a drawer. I buy a small bundle at a time and make what I can from that and then order some more. I, however, am much less of a pipe maker than Wayne. Don't let his "hobbyist pipemaker" talk give you false impressions about the caliber of his work.
yeah I've taken a look at his pipes. He's not fooling me into believing he's
making pipes that look like mine.
The Tan Saarlander
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I generally purchase about 30 blocks per year, so that I have 20 or so sitting on the shelf at at time, but that depends on my work cycle. I purchase the 30 block lots from Mimmo and/or buy from Premal Chheda and Steve Norse and occasionally Makis at shows.
I will rough shape 10-15 at a time, so the remainder varies. I don’t age my blocks, never got that far ahead of use.
I also do not “plan” my pipes in advance. I generally pick up the next block and begin shaping for grain and to avoid flaws, before drilling. The exception is a cross grained block that almost invariably becomes some billiard variant, or the extra long blocks that are Canadians from the get go.
I have had the lovely experience of picking up a block and starting to cut for a Dublin because it offered an excellent grain pattern for a Dublin, but because of a recent experience with blowfish, decided on a blowfish right then and there.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Adui

Post by Adui »

Small time hobbyist here. I purchase no more than 4 at a time and wait till Im down to 1 to buy more. Once my work is good enough to sell regularly I might use that to buy more at once.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry