First attempt at bent billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
luttrell31

First attempt at bent billiard

Post by luttrell31 »

This is my first try at a bent billiard. I know the heel needs some work. Should have removed more? But looking for some critique, first time I've been brave enough to post on here but no need to be gentle ha ha.

Thank you,
Attachments
IMG_04082020_205827_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(140.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_04082020_205720_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(101.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_04082020_205735_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(140.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_04082020_205419_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(141.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DocAitch

Re: First attempt at bent billiard

Post by DocAitch »

This looks like a smokable pipe and reminds me of a cross between a Savinelli 611 and a Castello 55.
I think that you should examine a bent billiard that appeals to you and make a comparison with this pipe.
The first thing that hits me is the chin on this pipe. It looks a bit like a Castello 55- not a favorite of mine.
If you review the critiques of bent pipes here on the forum, one of the points frequently made is that the lowest point of the pipe is best situated (esthetically) behind the centerline of the bowl.
Another point is that the sides of this bowl flare outward like a Dublin, not slightly inward like a billiard.
The shank should also have a slight taper from bowl to stem- this is opposite, possibly due to your rustication.
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
luttrell31

Post by luttrell31 »

Thank you for your critique. The chin is honestly what bothers me most about this pipe. But now I notice the stem and bowl side issue since you point it out. I have learned a lot on this one and hopefully will improve on my next one.

Thank you,
Adui

Post by Adui »

Keep at it! You will get there. (Says the guy who carves so slow these days he is still practicing to get there LOL)
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
luttrell31

Post by luttrell31 »

Yeah, practice makes perfect. I just have to keep buying briar lol.
JMG

Post by JMG »

luttrell31 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:01 pm Should have removed more?
Yes and no. In this case you removed too much in some places and not enough in others (that's not to knock your effort). For instance, There should be more material on the bottom of the shank and the shank's line should carry into the bottom of the bowl. As it sits, there is a hollow in the bottom line of the shank and the bottom of the bowl dips well below that line. Also, the bowl is too cylindrical (something I struggle with as well when making a billiard). Try to study pipes with proper cheeks. Also, the top of the shank dips a little just before the bowl at the shank/bowl transition. Lastly, and maybe George will come in with his magic lines (I tried to draw them with my fat fingers on my phone and it was pathetically bad), the stem's bend is more of an elbow/joint than a continuous graceful bend.

Keep working, you have good things here to build on.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
luttrell31

Post by luttrell31 »

Thank you for the critique. That makes complete sense about taking too much from the bottom of the shank. I appreciate the help.