Taper Drill Diameter & Length?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Frank

Taper Drill Diameter & Length?

Post by Frank »

I notice from Tyler's web site that he uses a 9/64" taper bit to drill the stem.
Is this the approximate diameter that most custom pipe makers use to drill the stem?

I found on the web that the Regular Length in the above diameter is 2-7/8" overall length, and the Long Length is 5-3/8" overall length.
Would I be correct in assuming that the regular length would be too short for most pipe stems, taking into account that at least 1/2" of the bit is taken into the chuck?

Thanks for any info,
Frank.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the board! I use 5/32 for my draft hole.

Check here:

http://www.bitsnbores.com/

Just do a search for whatever size you need in a taper bit. They have long ones.

Hope this helps.

Rad
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Hi Frank and welcome. I'm with Rad--I use 5/32 airway on both the stummel and stem. The size airway is a personal preference depending on how open/easy you want the draw to be--bigger hole makes an easier draw.

When it comes to length--keep in mind a long bit will give you more options BUT that long bit will be prone to go off center (if you're drilling rod stock) especially when you first start to drill. If you're using preformed stems that wouldn't really be a factor.

I also second bitsnbores--really good service.

Hope that helps.

Dave
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I use 11/64" for the airway. If memory serves, and Tyler can correct me if I am wrong, Tyler uses 5/32" in the stummel and 9/64" taper in the stem. The reason for the 9/64 is that the ebonite will shrink a bit after drilling.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I use a 5/32 for most of the stem and a 5/64ths for the last inch near the button.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use two sizes depending on the pipe. If I'm making a bamboo-shanked pipe, the airway is 9/64, since that fits the best with the tubing I use. It also gives great draw characteristics for shorter pipes and allows a very thin stem.

For longer pipes, I use 5/32. I feel it gives the best draw for pipes with longer stems and shanks. I also use it if I'm making a pipe with a pre-molded stem since that size lends itself well to reaming out the pre-molded airway.

And, of course, I get them all from bitsnbores.com - they've got all kinds of wonderful stuff.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Looks like I should get both a 9/64 and a 5/32 long taper bit.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have two different diameter taper bits for stems, 11/64" and 9/64". I drill the draught hole at 5/32". The reason for the different sized taper bits is simple: I just never found one for 5/32" so I've got it surrounded. 8)

Generally speaking, I use 11/64". The only time I use 9/64" is when I have a very small diametered tenon (a 1/4" tenon is the diameter that I generally use the 9/64" taper), and in that case I want to leave as much "meat" as possible for tenon strength.

Tyler
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

NvilleDave wrote:
When it comes to length--keep in mind a long bit will give you more options BUT that long bit will be prone to go off center (if you're drilling rod stock) especially when you first start to drill. If you're using preformed stems that wouldn't really be a factor.
Someone posted a really good bit (har!) of advice a while ago. Start every hole with a center drill. I do it religiously, and have had very few wander off regardless of length.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

I second jacks advice, I've been using a center bit for long now to start out most of my holedrilling and that bit is sweet...

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yep, same as Jack, I always use a pilot bit to start holes.

BTW, Tyler, "Bits n Bores" do have a 5/32" long taper bit.

Regards,
Frank.