airhole diameter : bite

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Tyler,

Like you, I use 1/16th bit to open the hole laterally, but I've never broken one. After I've cut the slit with the little buzz saw, I open it a little wider with a diamond point bit before using the 1/16th to smear open the hole. This helps me avoid gouging the edges of the slit with the 1/16th bit, so there's less smoothing of the edges required after smearing the hole open.

My slits come out just under or right at 2 mm (usually :lol: ).

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I like to use 1mm bits, or bits in that range, when cutting slits. What I end up with is a slit just about 1.5mm or less once everything is said and done (filing, sanding, etc). I get all those bits from bitsnbores.com.

I don't know how everyone else does it, but I use a dremel-like tool with a precision handpiece that can grab stuff as small as the tiniest of wire bits, crank it up to full speed, and go slow. I make the slit with the dremel circular cutting bit, change to the drill bit to cut it deep, and then file it out to finish. I tend not to "smear" the opening so much as drill into the material at an angle to create the cone shape. After the opening is pretty close to finished, then I fine tune it. The bits I use are usually in the neighborhood of .040 - .050 inch (1 - 1.3 mm). And yes, I do break quite a few of them, so I keep several on hand. They key, to me, is using the dremel with the pencil-like handpiece. It allows for loads of fine control.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

OK, thanks Kurt...bitsnbores. I'll order a few from them.

I haven't tried it in the Dremel, because the RPM's scared me. I'll give it a try though.

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Kurt,

I used 1mm bits for a while, but ended up snapping them so frequently (several per pipe) that I moved to a larger diameter. I use a wire gauge sized bit (I don't recall the size, but its much smaller than 1/16") that is stronger and the fluted length is greater allowing me to dig a lot deeper. The dremel does turn and cut quickly, but it requires a steady hand and a precise shot directly along the center line. Otherwise you've got a lot of filing to do and a taller slot than you might mean to end up with. I've also used a drill press at 3,000 RPMs. Mine has a broken platform, so I don't use it anymore. Instead, I'm regularly using my lathe at 2000 RPM now. This allows me to watch my tenon to make sure I'm drilling the right direction, and it is also *very* steady. I just sit on the bench and drill away.

For those of you breaking a lot of bits, you might want to move much slower with a lot less force and make sure that you are trying to mill the slot with the flutes, not the unfluted shaft. Since using the wire gauge bit, I've yet to break one. Of course, I did break a 5/32 bit the other day. :oops:

Later, all,

Jeff
magruder

Post by magruder »

I like Jeff's idea - sounds very nice.

Tyler:
I have been using a tiny cutter tool I got in a set from Woodcraft. It is a small plastic box about 2" long w/6 tiny bits made by Meisinger.(Fits a Dremel small collet.)
In it is a cutter bit that looks like a tiny gear cog set perpendicilar on a shaft.
Makes a very controllable, albeit shallow, slit about a hair over 1/32 inch.
Maybe two hairs,one top , one bottom :D
Best to all,
Steve
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:I used 1mm bits for a while, but ended up snapping them so frequently (several per pipe) that I moved to a larger diameter.
Wow! Gracik, of the manly hands....

I guess my definition of "frequently" is different. I break about one per week - that's one for every 4 pipes or so. I consider it my payment to Vulcan, and just keep spares on hand.

Like Jeff said, you've got to go slow and use a light hand.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

KurtHuhn wrote:
jeff wrote:I used 1mm bits for a while, but ended up snapping them so frequently (several per pipe) that I moved to a larger diameter.
Wow! Gracik, of the manly hands....
...or incurable impatience. :)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Just my 2c worth, but have you folks tried using Side Mill bits or Reamers? Theoretically, the flutes should be sharper than drill bit flutes, as they're made to cut along the side length.

I get most of my lathe stuff from these guys: https://www.travers.com/index.asp

It's probably easier to find stuff in their printed catalogue rather than online.

Regards,
Frank.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Frank,

I have a 1/16 mill bit. It requires a very steady hand as its extra sharp mill flutes can turn a slot into a circle in a heartbeat. I've cut a few with it, and have ruined a few more. So, I'll be sticking with drill bits.

Jeff
Frank

Post by Frank »

@jeff
I'm with you on that one. Even though my Dremel has a flex shaft with a "pencil" holder, I swear it has a mind of it's own, directly opposing my wishes.

I tried grinding spiral fluting on my knife handles with it once. Now I stick to hand files and sandpaper wrapped around them for semi-finishing.

Regards,
Frank.
baff

slot < 2 mm

Post by baff »

Hello!

It seems to me that some of you are interested in drilling a slot as narrow as possible (1,5 mm). What is the benefit of such a small slot?

Here in Europe you rarely get pipe cleaners which fit such a narrow slot.

David
www.baff.cc - custom made tobacco pipes
Pipemaker David Wagner
magruder

Post by magruder »

Most guys I know love a narrow slot :wink:

Thin bits are very comfortable to me and I think many poeple agree.
What are your thoughts on the thin bits?

Best regards,
Steve
baff

slot 2 mm

Post by baff »

[quote="magruder"]Most guys I know love a narrow slot :wink:

Thin bits are very comfortable to me and I think many poeple agree.
What are your thoughts on the thin bits?

Hallo Steve!

I like thin bits too, but for my taste 2 mm is narrow enough for a thin bite, smaller slots I do not like. But one can decide, what is more important: thin bite, airflow (pipecleaners) or a compromise of both.
www.baff.cc - custom made tobacco pipes
Pipemaker David Wagner
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm most concerned with getting a balance of airflow and comfort. For my tastes, a 1.5mm slot is the best compromise. This allows me to go very thin on the bit, while still keeping enough material to avoid bite-through. Some folks may have trouble getting one of the extra fluffy cleaners through the slot, but a regular cleaner passes easily. The goal, however, is to get the airways such that a pipe cleaner is not necessary during the smoke.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com