German ebonite producers

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Odissey

German ebonite producers

Post by Odissey »

Hi everyone!

Gentlemen, there is a question about German ebonite producers. There is SEM and there is or was NYH. But I didn't find NYH on the Internet. It seems that somewhere there flashed information that one of the ebonite producers had closed. Maybe it was NYH and I was looking for it in vain. If it still works, please give me a link.

Best regards, Odissey
Flygare

Re: German ebonite producers

Post by Flygare »

Have you tried the contacts here? Seems to be updated this year.

https://www.nyhag.de/1/

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Flygare wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am Have you tried the contacts here? Seems to be updated this year.

Thanks for contacts. Tomorrow I will try to contact them and request a product catalog. If interested, I can report on the results of the negotiations.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Odissey wrote:
Flygare wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am Have you tried the contacts here? Seems to be updated this year.

Thanks for contacts. Tomorrow I will try to contact them and request a product catalog. If interested, I can report on the results of the negotiations.
Yes, please do that Odissey. I usually buy from SEM and they were in business in june this year at least, but I would like to see NYHs products also. I post the SEM website below so we have the contacts for both of the two german/european ebonite producers in the same thread.

https://ebonite-arts.de/en/home-english/

Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Flygare wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:24 pm
Odissey wrote:

Yes, please do that Odissey. I usually buy from SEM and they were in business in june this year at least, but I would like to see NYHs products also. I post the SEM website below so we have the contacts for both of the two german/european ebonite producers in the same thread.

https://ebonite-arts.de/en/home-english/

I started this topic with ebonite for this reason. I got ebonite from SEM yesterday and started making a stem. Prepared the surface for polishing on the wheel. Started polishing, but it is not polished. I can't see very well anymore, so I wear glasses. And here in the glasses I can not understand anything. I take a threefold magnifying glass, look through it and see that the ebonite is covered in pores. Any tool would leave scratches. And on the surface of the stem there are tiny pits.
I decided to try again to process it with sandpaper. I reduced the thickness of the bite from 4.2 mm to 3.75 mm, I polish it again on the circle, and the points were as they were.
So I’m thinking what to do with this ebonite now. I paid almost 400 euros for it.
I can file a SEM claim. But now it will begin ... And you send us ebonite ... And we will think ... But we do not know ...
I need to work, I have two tubes without stems.

I don't need it now. !!! I didn't have enough showdowns with claims for complete happiness.

Can you advise me anything?

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

It looks like you got a bad piece. Both NYH and SEM make good products, but mistakes happen. I’d talk to SEM about it. That is not typical of their product.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

I agree with Tyler here. I have used a variety of SEMs ebonite and never encountered something like this.

That have to be a batch with some manufacturing error.

Contact SEM. In my interactions with them they have been very good in their customer service and I am sure they will help you.

Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Tyler wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 pm It looks like you got a bad piece. Both NYH and SEM make good products, but mistakes happen. I’d talk to SEM about it. That is not typical of their product.
I will make another stem today from the same material. If there are pores again, then I will talk to SEM
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Don't waste your time, if there are inclusions in the rod on one piece they almost always run through the entire rod.

Claim from SEM for a new replacement rod.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

caskwith wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:04 am Don't waste your time, if there are inclusions in the rod on one piece they almost always run through the entire rod.

Claim from SEM for a new replacement rod.
Agreed, I've had rods with tiny air bubbles throughout. I've also had inclusions like bits of dust and whatnot. What sucks is that you may not know until the stem is almost finished.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWW&C

That piece of rod is funky throughout. Hopefully it can be exchanged.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Thank you for your answers.
Guys, enlighten me on one more question. In my opinion, they mixed everything up in my order. I asked to send me "Marbled" in my opinion this is the ebonite, which resembles a flower on the cut. But they sent ebonite, which on the cut looks like a swirling spiral. And this type of ebonite is called "Motled". Or I am wrong and I got it all mixed up. I received in the parcel that ebonite which is twisted in a spiral
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Likely a translation error. Words like "swirl," "twist," "spiral," 'marbled," and so forth have subtle differences in relation to each other within the SAME language. Getting those meanings to transfer to another language would be unreliable at best.

In the future, I'd do such transactions using pictures of some sort for clarity. Photos or drawings.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Mottled is the 8-swirled. (Left in picture)

Marbled is the one swirled. (Right in picture)

Mottled gives a more patchy pattern and marbled more smooth transitions as seen on the outside of the rods.

Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Flygare wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 pm Mottled is the 8-swirled. (Left in picture)

Marbled is the one swirled. (Right in picture)

Mottled gives a more patchy pattern and marbled more smooth transitions as seen on the outside of the rods.
Thanks! Realized that he was a fool. I ordered not what I needed. But SEM could, on its website. give an explanation of what it looks like. But there is nothing.