Snowpipes

Tell us who you are.
Snowpipes

Snowpipes

Post by Snowpipes »

Name: Thomas Stark

Years a pipe smoker: 2 seriously. I dabbled a few times a decade ago but never had the "aha" moment.

How I got into pipemaking: I discovered the IGPC and was immediately drawn to the shapes and grain quality. I bought a pipe kit and went at it. Finished a few kits before I bought my first tin of tobacco actually.

Interesting Facts: I am a certified Sommelier and Ciccerone, and have spent most of my career as a brewer. I started getting really sick a couple years ago and, of course, turns out I have an actual allergy to alcohol :banghead: Grew up outside of NYC, fled to California (Santa Cruz, then Lake Tahoe), and just moved to Vermont with my lady friend this past summer. Currently managing the events and local sales for a Cidery while trying to figure out how to pivot away from booze in my career during a pandemic. Its been a blast haha.

I've already learned so much from this forum, thank you all for the time and commitment it takes to answer all these questions.
DocAitch

Re: Snowpipes

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome.
As you will see in your other post, the critiques in the Gallery can be quite frank. If you can accept the criticism and apply what you learn, you will get better.
I would suggest that making a living producing artisan pipes would be very difficult. As several folks on the forum have pointed out, “the only way to make a small fortune making pipes is to start out with a large fortune.” I am not sure who is able to do that on this forum, certainly not me.
The most that I have hoped for is a self paying hobby, and I might reach that point after 4 years (at least enough to satisfy Uncle Sam)
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Snowpipes

Re: Snowpipes

Post by Snowpipes »

Thanks Doc!
A living would definately be a pipe dream.....Im so sorry I had to say that haha. If it were to pay for itself that would be absolutely fantastic, but years of commitment are obviously needed. No illusions here