Danish bent egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
amnell

Danish bent egg

Post by amnell »

Inspired by Stanwells shape 135 designed by Tom Eltang. A danish looking bent egg. The ring is made out of briar from an old Swedish pipe factory that shut down in the 60’s or 70’s.

44g/1.55oz
Hand cut cumberland stem.

I am not convinced regarding the length of the stem. Also not really sure about the bend.

Feedback much appreciated [emoji106]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Last edited by amnell on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LatakiaLover

Re: Danish bent egg

Post by LatakiaLover »

Defintely impressive if it's an early pipe. (Meaning execution and tool usage usually come into focus after an ability to bring about difficult shapes is developed, not the other way around.)

That said, the pipe itself---its lines---while smooth and flowing, are oddly not pipe-like. They're exaggerated and overly delicate to the point of impracticality. It's almost baroque.

It's difficult to explain, but easy to see by comparing to the original:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... _id=177246

My take? You have unusual talent and shop skill for a new carver, and will soon be making pipes that are truly excellent in every way. 8)

Your main challenge, I think, will be to reach that near-magical design "place" where less is more, a la Lars Ivarsson.

Please keep us posted. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
amnell

Danish bent egg

Post by amnell »

Wow. Thank you so much for the great feedback and kind words [mention]LatakiaLover [/mention] [emoji106] Yes its like my fourth finished pipe.

I’ve never seen the silver version of the 135, and looking at both that version and the standard model that I had in mind https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/est ... t_id=53530 I think that I can understand your feedback regarding my pipe. Both length and bend of the stem is ”wrong” and together with the stem flair(?) it breaks the flow of the shape. I also like the silver version as it makes the shank look a bit shorter.

Again, thanks!
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I think its a really nice 4th pipe. I love the cumberland and your finish is nice. That being said, I think there are a couple of things to work on for future pieces like this. In the 5th pic, there appears to be some asymmetry on the right (smoker's left) side of the shank. Also, the shank could benefit from a degree or two more bend and a little more taper into the ring, so as to flow into the barrel of the stem better. Kicks the shit outta my 4th pipe. Well done, and keep it up!
amnell

Post by amnell »

UnderShade wrote:I think its a really nice 4th pipe. I love the cumberland and your finish is nice. That being said, I think there are a couple of things to work on for future pieces like this. In the 5th pic, there appears to be some asymmetry on the right (smoker's left) side of the shank. Also, the shank could benefit from a degree or two more bend and a little more taper into the ring, so as to flow into the barrel of the stem better. Kicks the shit outta my 4th pipe. Well done, and keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback [mention]UnderShade [/mention] [emoji119]
I don’t think there is an asymetry to the shank, but instead the result of me holding the pipe a bit rotated. What I did find thanks to your comment thou is some asymetry in the stem. Especially the transition from the flair.

Again, big thanks [emoji106]