My fourth pipe, completed. An attempt at a Billiard.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

My fourth pipe, completed. An attempt at a Billiard.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

I have a desire to learn pipe making. I want to learn the right way. So, I chose this fourth pipe as an attempt at a Billiard.
While working on it, I can see why it is what most veterans recommend. It is quite the task. particularly the shank/head junction.
I wasn't sure what to go for on the rim of the tobacco chamber, so I went with a mostly flat top, as that is what I found when I searched for classic billiard pictures.
I tried the make the shank, the same length as the height of the bowl from the shank.
I tried to make the stem around the same length as the stummel.
As per instructions from Sasquatch, I tried not to let the bottom of the bowl go below the line that the shank establishes. Didn't do so well on this part. :/

Any advice or brutally honest comments are more than welcome. Thank you for looking!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 9.24.43 AM.png
(518.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 9.24.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 9.24.23 AM.png (367.63 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 9.24.00 AM.png
(653.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 9.23.36 AM.png
(701.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 9.22.54 AM.png
(845.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sasquatch

Re: My fourth pipe, completed. An attempt at a Billiard.

Post by Sasquatch »

There's still a billiard in there. Just keep taking off meat, you aren't even close to the dangerous boundaries. Get that shank more cylindrical, less tapered, get that lump off the bottom. I call this a "fist" billiard, looked at from the side. What you want in a billiard is not a fist, but more like the shape your hand makes if you offer someone an apple, if you hold it out to them. Grace.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
amnell

Post by amnell »

For being the fourth pipe you did a good job. There is a lot of potential in removing some of the taper and transition from shank to bowl. That, to me, is one of the hardest parts to get just right on a billiard [emoji38]

Oh. And I can also see some rounding in the transition between the shank and the stem. Make sure to do all sanding and polishing with the stem mounted. Remove it from time to time if you’ve done a lot of sanding as dust may enter the small space and cause a gap that may result in rounded corners when doing the polishing.

Keep up the good work [emoji106]
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Thank you Sasquatch and Amnell. I will work on getting the shank more cylindrical and removing some of the bulbous portion. I'll definitely try and make it more graceful, I can see what you guys mean and I agree it looks pretty clumsy. Thank you so much for the advice!